Marktoberdorf - Oy - Boy Oh Boy, Allgäu! - CycleBlaze

September 5, 2024

Marktoberdorf - Oy

Today our route dips to the south to Forggensee, near the famous castle Neuschwanstein, which we don't visit, and then up into the hills again with our backs to the mountains. The day starts  out a bit hazy but soon the sun is burning down strong. Not anticipating sun due to weather.com's repeated prediction of rain, I never thought to apply sun screen. My arms hadn't seen much sun this summer and they got quite sun burnt.

The mountain views will accompany us much of the day.
Heart 9 Comment 0
What a day!
Heart 7 Comment 0
Our route takes us away from roads for a while and onto what must be a rail trail.
Heart 7 Comment 0
What's there not to like?
Heart 6 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraI can't disagree!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Through short patches of forest for variety
Heart 9 Comment 1
Kathleen JonesAnother one for Susan’s wall.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 6 Comment 0
Now you have to imagine the ding-dong of the cows' bells.
Heart 9 Comment 0

The closer we got to Füssen and the lake, the more cyclists were out on the bike paths. We hardly saw any with panniers that looked like they were touring, but lots of families and elderly couples out for a ride, cycling as part of their daily life, not something special with lycra and everything. Many were on e-bikes, the same bikes that they use for shopping and doing local errands. 

We manage to find a secluded spot for our picnic, and with a view to Forggensee.
Heart 6 Comment 0
A peaceful setting
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

As we continued along the shore of the lake the path deteriorated to a narrow, unpaved trail with plenty of cyclists - not so much fun, definitely a planning error. Instead of going all the way to Füssen, we rerouted and headed for our destination of the day, Oy. Such a funny name.

Getting away from the lake and again on superior bike paths.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Another picturesque village chapel
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

We were now in for some serious climbing but also the most beautiful countryside of the day, or perhaps of the trip so far. 

We have left the lake and have some climbing before we are finished.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
And yet another chapel for the collection, and it was open.
Heart 7 Comment 0
The well cared for interior
Heart 2 Comment 0
King of the mountain, or queen?
Heart 6 Comment 0
Not much traffic, just the occasional tractor
Heart 4 Comment 0
A beautiful part of the Allgäu
Heart 6 Comment 0

The day also literally ended on a high note, no sweeping down to the final destination. Our hotel, Hotel Tannenhof, a wellness hotel, wasn't as isolated in the countryside as I had expected. That was a good thing because they didn't have a restaurant. It was a short walk in a light drizzle to the Italian restaurant that we chose. There has been a bit of rain, but only in the evenings. How long will our luck last?

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 53 km (33 miles)
Total: 170 km (106 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Rachael AndersonWhat a beautiful ride! I’m glad the weather is behaving for both of you.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Kathleen ClassenThe sunshine in your journal is the only sunshine we saw today. What a great ride! I really enjoyed reading it.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Kathleen ClassenThanks, Kathleen! I wish I had that sun today! I didn't get wet, though.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rod BlastWow! This looks like great tour. I like your pics, especially the cow on the hill! Enjoy your tour.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Rod BlastThanks, Rod!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Lucy MartinGorgeous day!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Lucy MartinIndeed it was!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago