Isny - Friedrichshafen - Boy Oh Boy, Allgäu! - CycleBlaze

September 8, 2024

Isny - Friedrichshafen

It is Susan's birthday! Today is our last day together, we go back to start. It's pretty much downhill all day and we are hoping for dry weather and perhaps a piece of birthday cake along the way. The first eight kilometers we retrace our route from yesterday, today under grey skies.

Even under grey skies it's a pleasing scene.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Quiet roads, you could take them for bike paths.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Going strong
Heart 5 Comment 0
One of many wayside crucifixes
Heart 2 Comment 0
We share the bicycle path with horses and dogs.
Heart 5 Comment 3
Rachael AndersonHow great as long as you don’t get kicked by the horse!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Rachael AndersonFor some reason, the horses were always very calm and didn't shy when we rode past.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rachael AndersonThat’s great! We found the same to be true in Great Britain but are cautious anyway.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

I was looking forward to Wangen where Janos and I had stayed on our tour in the Allgäu in 2021. It is a pretty little town in the sun. Today it is a bit dreary and for some reason crowded. We don't even find a cafe for a birthday coffee-and-cake stop. So we soldier on, a bit disgruntled.

Wangen
Heart 5 Comment 0
Every journal needs at least one cat picture - this is the cat lady in Wangen.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWhat a great statue!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

What I didn't realize was that the Bavarian Landesgartenschau/State Garden Show was being held in Wangen. It's a big and popular event and attracts lots of visitors. Blithely following our bicycle route, all of sudden we were standing in front of a fence and locked gate. The grounds were fenced in and cut off our bicycle route. A way around without getting on a road with fast traffic wasn't immediately obvious, but with some fumbling around we got back on track.

Layout of the Garden Show - There are many events and exhibits on the program.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We were now on an uninteresting section of our route - time to show you Susan's birthday present. A pair of pink cycling socks!

Ohne slip, aber mit Helm - google it!
Heart 6 Comment 4
A blurry shot of a place to sit down. Not a very scenic spot for a break and a bite.
Heart 3 Comment 0
On our way some tunnels and good infrastructure for cyclists. Wavy love?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Back in hops country
Heart 2 Comment 0
Here the hops have already been harvested. Similar scenes as at the beginning of our ride a week ago.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Shortly before we reached Tettnang we had to don our rain gear, it wasn't pouring yet but enough to get wet. I had never been to Tettnang before and didn't know what to expect. It turned out to be a pretty place but we will have to come back another time to appreciate it. A street festival was taking place and in spite of the incipient rain the streets were packed with people enjoying the festivities. We could hardly walk our bikes through the crowded streets. There was street food of all kinds, music, flea markets - the whole town was engaged in the event. We would have loved to park our bikes and join the fun, maybe even find some cake. But it was raining and we still had some kilometers to cover.

Street festival in Tettnang
Heart 4 Comment 0
My last picture. It started to rain in earnest and I put my camera away.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Now we just put our heads down and pedaled. My phone that I use for navigation was dry in a plastic case mounted on my handlebars and we found our way back to the hotel where we started out without incident.

We made it!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 307 km (191 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Patrick O'HaraI sad that your trip has come to an end.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Patrick O'HaraMe too!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Kathleen JonesAnother great ride by the Dynamic Duo.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Scott AndersonGreat trip! I’m so happy for you that the weather cooperated.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott AndersonA great piece of luck - this week it's wet and very cold!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Kathleen JonesThanks! We thought it was great, too.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Kathleen ClassenI loved your trip. Well done and thanks for posting.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Kathleen ClassenThank you, Kathleen! I hope you get some warmer weather soon!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago