Intro - Boy Oh Boy, Allgäu! - CycleBlaze

Intro

I am touring with Susan again! Starting date is September 2. We first cycled together with the Andersons in Burgundy, 2022. The following year Janos, Susan and I toured together for a week in the Provence, starting in Arles. In September 2022 Susan and I had fun riding together in the Black Forest. This year in Aril we toured together, starting in Elvas, Portugal to Trujillo, Spain. And we met again for another CycleBlazer tour with Kathleen Jones added to the team. That was the end of May on the French Moselle. This time around Susan and I are hoping for good weather for a week in the beautiful Allgäu, while Janos is off for a reunion in Poland with old friends from his school days.

Boy oh boy, Allgäu! First of all, äu and oy rhyme. Those two dots make all the difference. More importantly, Germany's Allgäu is a beautiful region with pastures, rolling hills and Alpine views, recently appearing in "All Roads Lead to Rhine", where Patrick O'hara describes in glowing terms his and Susanna Mulligan's impressions in southern Germany. Going back a few years you will find equally enthusiastic reviews of the Allgäu in the Grampies' journal Grampies Search for the Meaning of Life. And Janos and I have visited the Allgäu with our bicycles before, too.

Our route is basically shaped like a blimp. It's a coincidence, I didn't plan it that way, but our starting point is Friedrichshafen where on July 2, 1900 the first Zeppelin airship, designed by Ferdinand, Graf von Zeppelin, made its initial flight from a floating hangar on Lake Constance, near Friedrichshafen.  Today the Zeppelin Museum is located there. Count Zeppelin was born in Constance on the other side of the lake.

Sort of looks like a blimp
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 16
Comment on this entry Comment 12
Patrick O'HaraLooking forward to following along!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Rachael AndersonI can’t wait to follow your tour with Susan!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Nancy GrahamOH Goodie, another Suzanne tour. Needless to say, I am of course envious of Susan getting to ride with you so many times 😉. But I love following you two on your journeys.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Patrick O'HaraThanks, Patrick! Some of it should look familiar - if we get sun. You never know.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Rachael AndersonWe'll be thinking of you, Rachael, and wishing you were here!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Nancy GrahamThanks, Nancy! Why do you have to live so far away? :)
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Nancy GrahamTo Suzanne GibsonWell, if I live close enough to you I would be bugging you to ride all the time! So you would potentially get very tired of that. I would not ;’-). Have a great tour and post when you can as I will be following you two.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonGreat title! Maybe after I stare at it a few dozen times it will sink in.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Kelly IniguezThere's nothing better than a girls' trip. Enjoy!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Kelly IniguezThanks, Kelly!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Kathleen JonesOh good! I’m so happy you get to ride together again. This one sounds really interesting.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Kathleen JonesIt's going to be fun for sure.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago