Friedrichshafen - Leutkirch - Boy Oh Boy, Allgäu! - CycleBlaze

September 3, 2024

Friedrichshafen - Leutkirch

I'm way behind with the journal. We are nearing the end of our tour and I haven't written up a single ride yet. So let's get started.

---

We are eager to get on the road, but first breakfast. Janos had stayed overnight and the three of us had breakfast together before Janos set off for home. The weather is fine, more than fine today, as it gets quite warm in the afternoon. But so much nicer than the rain predicted a couple of days ago. 

The ride out of Friedrichshafen takes us through a lot more residantial sprawl than I would have expected and it wasn't until about kilometer 15 that we were in the country. Then we were in the midst of apple orchards, pear orchards and field of hops, and here the climb began.

Leaving the sprawl and into the orchards
Heart 4 Comment 0
Ready for harvest
Heart 9 Comment 0
Dangling elegantly waiting to be picked
Heart 7 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraThey look pretty ripe now. Not so, when we were through here a month ago!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Hops
Heart 3 Comment 1
Scott AndersonMakes me homesick. Hops are big in the Willamette Valley.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
The fruit of the hops plant used for making beer, cones I think they are called.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Susan getting a close up
Heart 5 Comment 1
Scott AndersonSo imazing that they grow from scratch each year.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
This is a fertile region with a micro-climate favorable for agriculture.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Harvested
Heart 1 Comment 0
The climb begins
Heart 5 Comment 0

The major climb of the day started after the first 15 kilometers. Goody, we thought, when we were on the top, we made it. But we had underestimated the constant little dips and rises that were still to come. There isn't much flat terrain in all of Allgäu we soon discovered.

Not a high pass, but nice to have a little sign to show for our effort
Heart 4 Comment 0

Surprise! Janos is following us on Komoot's live tracking and decided to hang around a while and meet us along our route! He was actually a bit worried that it took us so long to get that far, but in our usual fashion Susan and I had been dawdling taking pictures and then had stopped for a morning snack. Janos warned us about the steep little roads he had seen, but we knew that already.

Hey, there's Janos!
Heart 8 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraAwesome shot! Hi Janos!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

The sun was hot and shaded paths through bits of forest were very welome. Although the weather was great the views to the mountains were hazy, the wonderful Alpine views I had been looking foward to didn't materialize. 

Lots of potential May poles here
Heart 3 Comment 0
We only saw a few cows.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another little hill
Heart 4 Comment 1
Kathleen JonesThat should go on one of Susan’s walls, I think.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Some more shade
Heart 2 Comment 0
Some pretty scenes almost hidden from the road
Heart 5 Comment 0
This scene is very representative for the day.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Farm houses with geranium filled window boxes, apple trees and a wood pile for the approaching cold weather
Heart 5 Comment 0
South German village church with characteristic onion dome
Heart 5 Comment 0

We stop in Kisslegg for its interesting baroque church, St. Gallus and St. Ulrich.

St. Gallus and St. Ulrich, a deceptively plain exterior
Heart 2 Comment 0
The elaborate Baroque interior
Heart 7 Comment 0
Momenot mori - a reminder of the inevitability of death
Heart 2 Comment 0
St. Joseph shown with a basket of carpenter's tools
Heart 3 Comment 0
St. Gallus and the bear - Legend has it that the monk Gallus commanded the bear to bring fire wood. The bear obeyed and was rewarded with a loaf of bread. Gallus's traveling companion observed this and took it to be a sign of the monk's saintliness.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Street in Kisslegg
Heart 5 Comment 0
In Kisslegg
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another depiction of St. Gallus (the patron saint of Sankt Gallen in Switzerland by the way)
Heart 3 Comment 0
St. Gallus pharmacy
Heart 1 Comment 0
We pass the watershed between the Danube and the Rhine
Heart 5 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraVery cool sign, and an interesting geographical landmark.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
I tried the door of this little chapel and it was open. Either I deleted the pictures of the interior or I didn't take any, I can't remember.
Heart 2 Comment 0

As usual we got in quite late, around five I think. After a hefty Bavarian meal at our hotel, I was happy to hit the sack after a great day. But too tired for the journal.

My quaint little bed in Bavarian style
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 59 km (37 miles)
Total: 59 km (37 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 0