Train to Oviedo - Spain, a Paleolithic Twist - CycleBlaze

September 9, 2024

Train to Oviedo

Stuck in the Elevator

Weather in the mid 50s to mid 60s. 
We left our hotel about 6:30 am and road uphill to the train station. We decided to take the train to avoid the amount of climbing necessary to get to our next stop. For Bob it would have been a really hard day and the ebike decided to start acting up and unexpectedly dropping to the lowest assist mode, eco, repeatedly. 

Bob sitting at the train station in Ribadesella
Heart 0 Comment 0

Stuck in the Elevator story. Feel free to skip.

After arriving in Oviedo we needed to find our way out of the multi- level train station.   First we had to take an elevator from the arrival platform up to get to the main terminal. The ebike is longer than the gravel bike. After several tries I was able to turn the wheel perpendicular to the frame and just make it inside. Only one at a time can go. We then found exit signs and scanned our tickets to exit. Things were looking up. Ha! Now we searched for a way out- two options up a level or down a level, escalator or you guess it tiny elevator. So once again I turned my wheel, pulled everything in as far as I could pushed the button the door closed. And nothing happened. I push another button nothing, I push the door open button nothing happened, Bob yells am I going down. No! Fortunately, the elevator is glass 0n one side. Finally, I push the yellow help button. Say I’m stuck in English and don’t speak Spanish. Two or three men  and 1 women arrive, they get the door open. They send us across to the other tiny elevator and this time I manage to get down. The looks on the helpers faces was not pleasant. But we thanked them profusely and rode off to our hotel in Oviedo. 

Ovideo, cool building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gold metal Camino shell pointing the way to the Cathedral on the streets of Oviedo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch- grilled ribs and a giant salad. Most of the dishes were in portions for two.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Lunch in Oviedo. They start serving at 1:00. This restaurant has a long grill inside where they slowly grill the meat. Ribs, beef loins- only served rare and vegetables. 

Gentleman at the next table poring cider. They pour from above their heads. Waiters usually do the honors standing. The beverage does contain alcohol.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The fruits we’ve seen growing on trees along the way include: oranges, peaches, pears, and apples. The oranges are green with a few still hanging from last season. 

Tomorrow is an off the bike day in Oviedo. Also need to figure out what can be done about the ebike. 

Today's ride: 5 miles (8 km)
Total: 251 miles (404 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Jane FletcherHope you can get the e-bike sorted out!!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago