The Road Every Cycle Tourist Dreams Of - The Sisterhood of the Traveling Jersey - CycleBlaze

June 21, 2024

The Road Every Cycle Tourist Dreams Of

Thompson Falls to Trout Creek Lodge; Jim and Rich do some “guy bonding”, MT scenery doesn’t disappoint, likely “best digs” of the trip

Heart 0 Comment 0
Perfect scenery
Heart 6 Comment 0


We awoke this morning to a lovely day-warm, sunny, minimal wind. After packing up most everything, Jim and I had time for a stroll down to and along the river. Then we met up with Amber and Rich for breakfast at the hotel restaurant. I had a blueberry pancake which was one of the best I have ever eaten.

Today Jim and Rich rode while I drove and Amber navigated. Essentially the guys went down the motel driveway, crossed over Hwy 200 and continued onto Blue Slide Road, following the river on the opposite side from the highway.

Amber and I ran a quick errand in Thompson Falls, and then followed the guys on the route. Blue Slide road turned out to be one of those roads that every cycle tourist dreams of; good pavement, rolling ups and downs, extraordinary views from many vantage points and minimal to no auto traffic.

It didn’t hurt that the weather was pretty perfect as well, low 60’s to upper 70’s with only a light breeze. It really couldn’t get any better.

I attempted to pry some highlights of the actual ride from Jim but he wasn’t very forthcoming; I think he just enjoyed the day immensely. Rich also thought it was a great ride, not too difficult but hard enough to feel like you got a workout.

Amber and I stopped in several places both to wait for the guys and to get pictures and we both took many more than the guys. I will post a sampling below.

We arrived in the tiny town of Trout Creek 2 hours before our “firm” 4:00 check-in so we retreated to the Lakeside Inn restaurant and sat outside for lunch, followed by ice cream and quite a bit of just enjoying the nice day and a lovely patio view.

Eventually we made our way the Trout Creek Lodge. To get there you drive quite a ways back off the highway but when we did get there, well, Wow! It is a lovely 90 acre property with a 10,000 sq. ft. lodge with 5 suites being run as a B&B. The hosts, Randy and Julie, previously owned and ran a motel complex in Pinnicle and “downsized” to this and it is really something. Unfortunately my pictures really do not do it justice at all.

As I write this, the guy are on their way to town to pick up pizza which we will eat outside before we take a little post-prandial stroll and then we will call it a night.

Later-While we were eating some pretty tasty pizza and drinking a bottle of white wine on the patio, a Bald Eagle soared right over us. A good omen?

Heart 1 Comment 0
Ready, set…
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltIris/yellow flag.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Iris_pseudacorus
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
This is part of the Noxon reservoir-an inlet off the Clark Fork
Heart 1 Comment 0
I thought this was extra lush Lupine but with further research now think it might be Echium vulgare, common names-Vipers bugloss, Blueweed
Heart 2 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltSometimes online nature ID software makes mistakes...

Lupine:
https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/47121-Lupinus/browse_photos?place_id=16

But this is Phacelia:
https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/166592/browse_photos
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Genny FoxTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks Bill,
I looked at a couple of different I’d sites and think maybe it’s Echium vulgare, Vipers bugloss, Blueweed. I changed the caption but would love to know what you think.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltAgreed. Flower shape is key! Good job!!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Rich cruisin’
Heart 1 Comment 0
Jim coasting
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our home tonight
Heart 2 Comment 0

And by special request from Kelly Iniguez, here is the 60-yr old fixture from yesterday’s motel and associated directions for use:

Heart 3 Comment 3
Suzanne GibsonI was curious, too! Thanks for posting.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Kelly IniguezI’m familiar with that model. We are of the same vintage!

Jacinto and I spent a night at a nondescript motel in Pinnacle. The one run by the Korean lady. I wonder if the place your inn keepers ran is the Isaac Walton down the road a piece? That’s the $$$ train motel that I would have loved to stay at, but I just couldn’t spend that much when there was a cheaper, adequate alternative.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Ellen WalkerThat does look familiar LOL!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Guess what happened when I twisted it? The fixture came off in my hand.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 29 miles (47 km)
Total: 281 miles (452 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0