Finale-Deluge to Drought - The Sisterhood of the Traveling Jersey - CycleBlaze

July 1, 2024 to July 3, 2024

Finale-Deluge to Drought

Wow, it’s hot here in CA!

Jim is taking a fresh air break during a train stop.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I am sitting in my living room watching Le Tour de France as I write this conclusion to this journal. We traveled from Whitefish uneventfully by Amtrak, first to Seattle, where we spent the night with our friends, Wendy and Vince, then to Martinez, CA. From there we rode the last 29 miles to our home in Napa.

The further south we got, the warmer the weather became. Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, we are in the midst of a heat wave, so our ride home was, shall we say, toasty. It is quite a contrast to most of our time in Montana, especially the last day, where we were caught in the worst rain we have ever experienced on bicycles as we approached Whitefish. 

Upon arriving home, our housesitter greeted us with tasty (and cold) smoothies. Now that we have cooled down, we are getting reacquainted with our critters, going through mail, doing laundry, checking the veggie garden, etc.

This tour definitely had both high points (Going to the Sun Road) and low points (the dog attack and Amber’s subsequent injuries.) Amber and Rich really showed their mettle in the face of adversity. Amber was able to handle her severe injuries with grace and humor, while Rich’s obvious concern and protectiveness for her well-being was, quite simply, very touching. Both of them displayed great fortitude and Jim and I are very grateful that they chose to stay and finish out the tour, in spite of the fact that Amber couldn’t ride.

This was our third time riding in Montana and, as before, it doesn’t disappoint.  The scenery is outstanding and the people are friendly, helpful and generally respectful towards cyclists. Cycle-touring and traveling in general always helps to reinforce my belief that people, regardless of their backgrounds and beliefs, are much more similar to one another than different.

So I will conclude this journal with a reminder that the Traveling Jersey is still up for grabs if there is a sister out there planning an ascent of Going to the Sun Road. Contact me and I will happily pass it on to you. It is a Voler woman’s medium. Thank you all for reading!

Early morning alongside the Columbia river as seen from the train.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Columbia river
Heart 0 Comment 0
Columbia river
Heart 0 Comment 0
Columbia river
Heart 0 Comment 0
I saw these from the train just west of Wenatchee, WA
Heart 2 Comment 0
In the Seattle train station
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the Benicia bridge. It runs between Martinez and Benicia. The Carquinez Straights are below.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Carquinez Straights
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 29 miles (47 km)
Total: 601 miles (967 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0