To Savannakhet by bus - The sixteenth step ... From Bác Hồ to กรุงเทพมหานคร - CycleBlaze

October 11, 2024

To Savannakhet by bus

Huong, the delightful manager of the Candy Inn where we had been staying for the past five nights, had packed us a takeaway breakfast of omelet-filled baguettes, fruit and some chocolates, so it was a simple matter of loading the bicycles and setting off for the southern bus terminal. 

Our bus was scheduled to depart at eight o'clock but we were there before seven just to make sure they would accept the bicycles.  The interior of the bus itself was loaded more than half full with cargo, only the first five rows of seats being available for passengers, but the hold was still empty so there was no problem in getting the bikes in.

Heart 1 Comment 0

The journey itself was, of course, punctuated by numerous stops to drop off and pick up cargo along the way.  This is how local, as opposed to tourist, busses work.  At least we had seats.  The last time we rode a bus to Savannakhet Leigh spent most of the time sitting on the floor.

Heart 2 Comment 1
Andrea BrownI feel like I've been on this bus.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

Getting through the border was simple but drawn out.   A few checks on the Vietnamese side and then a long walk to the Laos side, where our visa-on-arrival applications were quickly processed,  followed by another walk to our bus now parked outside the border control area.  Another long wait for a tardy couple of passengers joining the bus (a total of eleven for the journey so this is clearly primarily a cargo bus) and we were on our way again by twelve thirty. 

We arrived in Savannakhet at about a quarter past four in the afternoon. All I was hoping for was to make it there before dark so this was a bonus.  There was a mix up with our booking at the Xanthone Guest House but once that was sorted out we cycled off to find some supper.  

Beerlao for the first time in eight years.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We can only enter Thailand on Sunday so tomorrow will be another lazy day.

Today's ride: 9 km (6 miles)
Total: 882 km (548 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0