Hueneja - Springtime Spin in Southern Spain - CycleBlaze

May 23, 2024

Hueneja

We do our best to remember the names of the destination towns as we travel, but sometimes they are a mouthful or just don’t stick in our memory banks very well. So, we make up names. In the case of Hueneja, it became we-need-ya. In Sardinia, names like Gonnosfanadiga became gonna-find-a-friend and Pabillonis became pile-of-bologna. The we-need-ya seemed fitting in the post covid era and as it turned out the hotel we were headed for was caught by covid mid-construction. So, indeed, they do need our business.

But first, a little bit about Gaudix, it surprised us as it was a busy hub with lots of young families. We saw more traffic here than anywhere since we started cycling which means it is a hub city. The train passes through here too. Guadix was such an interesting town that we decided to spend some time in the morning exploring the cave barrio on foot. That is, the neighbourhoods of the cave dwellers. There are some 2000 residents in these neighborhoods. It was just a 10 minute walk uphill from our accommodation. We walked around the base of the castle to get there. 

This castle is being renovated as it is in a state of disrepair.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Here are some photos taken in the ‘Cueva barrio’. For a more authentic experience, insert the sounds of roosters crowing and dogs barking, a loudspeaker announcing something we didn’t understand to everyone in the neighborhood, a bunch of scrawny cats prowling around and horses milling around a paddock.

The homes are built into the mud hillsides and each has at least one chimney protruding from the roof. Apparently, inside they are around 70-75 degrees F all year long. Notice all the wiring and antennae in the photos. These are modern homes, at least in some instances. Others looked more rustic.

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 1
Patty BarronWe see the chimney! But where’s the house?? ( the entrance…)
The wires & antenna are an indication of being attached to some electrical equipment, No? Si!!
A very eclectic looking «  habitation » as it would be called.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
I was standing in someone’s roof to get this shot.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Like any neighborhood, some are more loved that others. This one was neat as a pin.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Notice how some homes have a regular construction in front of the cave portion.
Heart 6 Comment 0

After the tour of the cave homes, it was time to visit the grocery store for lunch fixings, the get on the road again. The temperature was perfect once again and today we were accompanied by a light headwind that kept us cool. The route was fairly unremarkable and went through a number of small towns as it hugged the bottom of the mighty Sierra Nevada range.

We were heading for the base of the mountain.
Heart 4 Comment 0
This is almond country. The trees are dripping in fruit.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

We had hopes of finding a spot for a coffee break mid day but it never materialized because these towns are closed up in the daytime. Bars are shut and there are few people to be seen.

City hall in one of the small towns.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The castle at La Calahorra stands out boldly atop the hill next to to the town of La Calahorra. We cruised into the town square and had our lunch beside the church. Again, nothing was open here. 

The road was like this most of the way. Great surface, no cars.
Heart 4 Comment 0
La Calahorra Castle.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had a mix of downhill and uphill today.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Olive and almond orchards dot the countryside here.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our nice road came to an end prematurely and we were left with two options. One was to ride on the freeway, which did not appeal, nor is it legal. The other choice was a dirt track, so that’s what we did. It took us downhill along a bumpy road about two km and then dumped us onto a paved service road. The bouncing and jostling was enough to loosen David’s shift lever, but he manged to carry on without too much worry or hastle.

Eventually, we made it to Hueneja and found our hotel nestled on a hill about a km out of town. David’s front tire flatted as he rode in to the entranceway.  What timing! 

We were checked in by the Belgian owner, Mark, who told us the story of the hotel. It’s only been open for three years and it is beautiful. It’s modern and sleek and we loved everything about it. Breakfast was included in the price and as there is a nice restaurant, we ate in-house.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Reception.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Avocado and mango salad to start.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Sous vide pork ribs.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Grilled pork.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Cheesecake for dessert. Shared, of course.
Heart 6 Comment 3
Jacquie GaudetShared? If I share dessert with Al, I might not get any!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Rachael AndersonWe almost never share a dessert because they are usually small.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Anne MathersTo Rachael AndersonThe desserts we have ordered are plenty for the two of us, so sharing is the default for us. They have all been outstanding.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 515 km (320 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Anne AnastasiouThe cave houses are amazing. So glad David is such a good bicycle repair person! Very necessary for your type of travel. What a country of castles!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago