Help Me Ronda - Springtime Spin in Southern Spain - CycleBlaze

May 15, 2024

Help Me Ronda

One of our concerns coming to Spain at this time was the temperature. Would it be too hot? So far, the answer is no. in fact, we both had a chill when we arrived here yesterday. The highs and lows are actually the same as they are at home right now, an over night low of 8 and daytime high of 17 or 18C. The odd thing is, the air temperature feels suprisingly chilly and if there’s a breeze, you need to grab your long sleeves to stay warm. We’re both very happy with it, just as it is. We can always warm up on a cool day but dealing with heat is whole different situation. So, top marks on the weather from us.

We had a disappointing breakfast this morning at our hotel. We had coffee, orange juice and toast. Admittedly, they did serve us each the biggest slice of toast we have ever seen, but it was pretty lonely. So, we stopped at a small grocery store and stocked up with food for the road, then pushed off. 

Grazalema, showing off in the morning light.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The panoramas in the region are stupendous.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Grazalema is looking smaller by the minute. What a spectacular setting!
Heart 3 Comment 0

The cycling was dreamy. The road surface was excellent and the traffic was light and drivers very considerate of cyclists. Our route wound gently downhill through a cork oak forest. Vistas of the surrounding landscape were jaw-dropping and ever-changing as we progressed. Notice how green it is? That’s exactly what we hoped for. I expect it will be much dryer in August.

We were being watched from the roadside forest.
Heart 3 Comment 0
These are the rewards. Carefree cycling through contryside like this.
Heart 6 Comment 0
More open panoramas in every direction,
Heart 4 Comment 2
Anne AnastasiouLove the lack of cars!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago

The direct route to Ronda from Grazalema seemed a bit short when I was planning the route, so I added a loop through Benaojan and Montajaque. There was plenty of interesting landscape to explore along this route.

We wondered if we would be led down to the trail going through the mountain. It turned out to be a small dam.
Heart 8 Comment 0
I stopped when I noticed bird shadows on the huge rocky outcropping across the ravine. I am craning my neck to watch the raptors soar overhead. Fabulous sighting of 4 vultures.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Jacquie GaudetI remember this road! Isn’t it great?
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Looks like this is a dam without a job.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Stunning scenery to be meandering through.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Old agave flower, its foliage now just a pile of black-brown dried bits at the base of the flower. What a great landing perch for the birds.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I was surprised to see a railroad at the bottom of the ravine here. Not sure where the train originates or travels to. Perhaps Romda? In any case, the cave you can see is quite significant. There’s bats in that cave! And the river that pours out of its mouth traverses through the mountain for 4km. The river has been coursing here for many centuries and has been used by local people from Romans to Moors and Christians to grow crops. 

Cave entrance, complete with a river which flows out here from a 4km course inside the mountain range.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We arrived in Ronda by 2:30 and were met by our host, Gordon, after navigating the steep cobbled roads to locate the B&B. He gave us an overview of the town and recommendations for the best views of the famous new bridge in Ronda and, based on that, we headed off on a walking tour. Here are some photos from that walk.

This is a shot of the ‘back’ of the New Bridge.
Heart 10 Comment 2
Scott AndersonGreat shot of this bridge, better than I ever got. The lighting from this side looks much better.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
David MathersTo Scott AndersonThanks Scott. The lighting was critical as we were told 5-6pm was the key time for photos right now👍
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
The square concrete shapes are the dye vats of a tannery built and used by the Moors.
Heart 4 Comment 0
This is a very old bridge, much smaller scale.
Heart 5 Comment 0
And, there’s a third bridge.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Peering down the ravine into the river.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another shot down into the ravine.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We walked almost the the bottom of the cliff so we could get a good shot of the new bridge at 5:30 when there was less shadow on it.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Yes, it’s a long way up! The walk is not for everyone.
Heart 8 Comment 0

Ronda has more than its fair share of fabulous restaurants. We followed Gordon’s recommendation for a local restaurant, run by an Argentinian couple and only a few steps from the B&B. We were on the doorstep at 8:00 pm and secured the first table in the small restaurant. Neither of us has eaten red meat in quite a while, so tonight we indulged in their specialty. The black bits are salt crystals. What a memorable dinner. 

Drool-worthy
Heart 2 Comment 0
Chimichurri and fries to go with the rump steak.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Spinach salad. Inside that pocket was a lovely thick round of goat cheese (it’s one of these dishes you just enjoy and don’t ask how it was done).
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 151 km (94 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 15
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Anne AnastasiouGlad you enjoyed Ronda and had time to walk around.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Keith ClassenType your comment here
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Keith ClassenThat’s look a perfect day to me. Rhonda is a spectacular setting!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Patty BarronWhat spectacular and amazing countrysides you are traversing!
And, once arrived at your destination, you, of course, make another type of a trek; to the bottom of a steep ravine! Like a pair of mountain goats! No rest here! Well worth it, for the bridge photo in the spectacular light!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago