Granada - The Alhambra - Springtime Spin in Southern Spain - CycleBlaze

May 21, 2024

Granada - The Alhambra

Granada is the home of the Alhambra, a place that deserves attention and time to explore, and for that reason, we booked two nights here. I had booked our tickets to the Nasrid Palace in March to be sure we could actually tour it while we were here. What with the surge of tourists in Spain, it was a good thing to have bought tickets in advance.

Our suite is the one on the second floor. That window/balcony made a great soot for drying our laundry.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just a typical street scene in Granada.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our tickets had to be exchanged at the ticket office prior to our tour, so we headed up the hill first thing to secure the tickets to the palace. We decided to go ahead with a tour as it’s easy to be overwhelmed with everything there is to see here. So, we headed off with Pablo, a history major who calls Grenada home, to learn about the history and tour the entire complex over three hours. 

What follows are David’s photos taken during the tour. Suffice it to say, this is a very special place and it can be humbling to walk through the homes, palaces and gardens where significant historic events took place.

Entry into the Alhambra, near the Generalife.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Generalife.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Generalife
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The roses throughout the entire Alhambra were in their prime. Roses, roses and more roses!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Water is a theme in the whole Alhambra. We learned how they brought the water from the Darro River and built it into the features if the gardens and palaces. Today, the water flows as vigorously as ever, aided by pumps and electronics. The water is flowing off the Sierra Nevada mountain range that sits to the south of Grenada, which we experienced yesteday when we had to ride right through a torrent that covered the roadway.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

After the tour, we strolled the old city, the Albazin. From the top of the hill, you can have a beautiful view of the Alhambra. So that’s where we went next to take in the view.

Church on the hill opposite the Alhambra.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
The Sierra Nevada sits to the south of Grenada and still has snow on it.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The streets are made of white and black stones in floral patterns.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We stopped by at a cafe for a light lunch.

We had lunch at the Bernina cafe! For the non-quilters, Bernina makes seeing machines.
Heart 1 Comment 0

For dinner we found a lively place to enjoy a great meal, the Bodega Castaneda. The food was so delicious, it disappeared before we realized we hadn’t taken a photo. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Our waiter was such a pro. What a fun night it was.
Heart 5 Comment 0

This was a tapas restaurant. We chose salad and a sampler board. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

Tomorrow, we are headed east to Guadix.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Anne AnastasiouSo glad you enjoyed the Alhambra. It's such a great place to visit. David's pics brought it all back. Loved the yellow roses. 😊
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Anne MathersTo Anne AnastasiouYes, the yellow roses have a special place in my heart, too! Will always think of your Mum when I see them.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Patty BarronWhat a stunning place to see! The photos all do it justice, one more amazing than the next! Super photographer David!
The running commentary throughout is just as inspiring.
Loved the tour, thanks to you both 🤗
Reply to this comment
3 months ago