Alozaina - Springtime Spin in Southern Spain - CycleBlaze

May 16, 2024

Alozaina

I was all prepared to head out to a corner store to buy a few things for breakfast at our B&B, when I heard the clinks of cutlery and cups coming from the dining area and noticed a couple was seated at the table enjoying their breakfast. My first thought was that I hadn’t asked for breakfast in the reservation, but I then noticed two other settings at the table. I asked Gordon if I should have ordered ahead and he said, no, breakfast is included and that one of the settings was for us. Hallelujah! A third couple, from Holland, joined us shortly thereafter and so began a lively breakfast discussion about our travels and about Andalucia. 

A wading pool at the B&B, with a view over the Sierra.
Heart 6 Comment 0
B&B courtyard, adjacent to the ancient palace next door.
Heart 4 Comment 0
View from the B&B, which is built right into the old Roman walls.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Eventually, we said our good byes and we packed up and pushed ourselves out the door. The exit from Ronda led us along a main pedestrianized shopping street where there were already crowds of people shopping at the mainly name-brand stores.

We wove in and out the the pedestrians and eventually made it onto the minor highway that would take us up and over the Sierra de las Nieves and to our destination, Alozaina. There was a light tailwind blowing and it was about 9 degrees, in the glorious sunshine.

There weren’t any notable events along the way today, so these photos and captions will tell the story of the day.

Riding the cobbles across the New Bridge
Heart 4 Comment 0

Leaving Ronda on the way to El Burgo
Heart 7 Comment 0
Looking back at Ronda.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We came upon this huge meadow filled with goats, grazing and making goat sounds. The voices of the baby goats were the sweetest!
Heart 2 Comment 0
… hey buddy,, thanks for the delicious cheese we had with our spinach salad last night.
Heart 2 Comment 0
General countryside photo, under a gorgeous blue sky.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Flowers galore!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking back on Ronda and the Sierra de Grazalema.
Heart 3 Comment 0

David has been learning how to use the new Go-pro camera so here are a few clips to show you what it’s like to cruise the roads of Andalucia.

Still climbing.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The first col sign of the day.
Heart 9 Comment 1
Scott AndersonThanks for reminding us. I loved this road when we came through.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
We rode through the Sierra de las Nievas Park today.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The second of two significant climbs today.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Panorama from the summit, looking southwest.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The mountains are capped with these limestone formations.
Heart 6 Comment 0
El Burgho and surroundings, taken from the mirador. Our route carried on through the notch in the distance.
Heart 3 Comment 0

El Burgho, where we stopped in for a bocadilla and lemon fanta.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Eventually, the road dropped from the mountain summit and squiggled its way down all the way to Alozaina. What fun it was to swoop from one corner to the next, again and again all the way down to Alozaina. 

View over Alozaina.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Roman built tower in Alozaina.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Views over the mountains pop up as you look left and right from the main street.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kitty, resting after a tough day in the job.
Heart 7 Comment 0
A bar with a view.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Peek-a-boo views are found ate every cross street since Alozaina was built on a narrow rocky outcropping.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Pretty geraniums beautifying the whitewashed buildings.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Dinner was a shrimp and chicken stir-fry. Very satisfying.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 198 km (123 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 15
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Patty BarronCan’t help but believe that the two goats on the Sierra de las Nieves park sign were there just for you two!!
Great capture of the two limestone figures on the top of the limestone crags!
Intriguing pebble stone work on the walkways!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Anne AnastasiouLove the blue skies and almost traffic free roads. Fun to ride along with you David from your go pro. Dinner looked good! Glad you had another great day!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Scott AndersonWoo hoo, you’ve got video!!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Rachael AndersonAnother challenging day with a great video!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago