Ride of the Falling Rain - Off to the Ride of the Falling Rain - CycleBlaze

August 4, 2024

Ride of the Falling Rain

The Big Day Arrived!

As we ate our breakfast looking out the huge windows toward Loch Inlaard, we watched a squall come through. It was very short, but drenched the ground quickly. Our discussion turned to how much rain gear we would wear to start the day.  As luck would have it, by the time we rode to Debbie’s Cafe where the ride starts, it was a bit windy, and chilly, but remained dry. We joined a group of about 20 or so riders and received our paper map outlining the route. Everyone was drinking their coffees, so the ride experienced a delayed start: 10:15. 

Debbie’s Cafe - the gathering place for the ride start. Photo courtesy of ES.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Surprise, we’re the only tandem. Photo courtesy of ES.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We’re off! Photo courtesy of ES.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There they go! Photo courtesy of ES.
Heart 2 Comment 0

This 100 mile ride on the small island of Islay included 4 loops. Due to the wind, we were advised to do certain stretches of the ride in reverse as some roads had more protection than others. Our first loop, the southwest corner, was lovely. The scenery was incredible, however the road was quite rough and full of potholes and crumbling tarmac. It was also the most challenging with the ups and downs. 

Finlaggan Beach.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This barn was circular. We were descending, so I missed a photo that showed the circular barn up close.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heading back north along Loch Inlaard with a fantastic tailwind.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We made it to the halfway point and we were still dry. The wind was strong, but the rain had held off so far. We had coffees, hot chocolates, and chocolate cake at the Ardbeg Distillery. Other cyclists came in while we were there, so we knew we were still on the right route.  Shortly after we set off for the second half of the ride, the heavens opened up. We had a 20k flat section with a tremendous tailwind. It was great and the rain didn’t seem too bad. Some of our group decided to head home while several of us decided to complete the third loop. Probably wasn’t the smartest idea because that’s when the storm completely let loose. Think downpour and strong winds (40 kph) with crazy gusts.  We found a shortcut on this loop and struggled against the headwind towards home. We were thoroughly soaked, but warm, and laughing hysterically that we did this insane event.  

The shoreline between Port Ellen and Ardbeg.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ardbeg Distillery.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We made it to the halfway point and we’re dry. Time for some refreshments.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We cut the ride short by about 35 kilometers and that was just fine by us!  We saw a lot of this pretty island and understand why so many love it. We’re thrilled we had this opportunity to visit. Photos were no longer possible after the mid-ride stop either.  It was too wet and the touchscreen on the phone, like the Garmin, was struggling to work. 

Day 6: ride of the Falling Rain (our version)
Heart 0 Comment 1
Dave VowlesWell done on completing 120km in sun/rain and strong wind! Mission accomplished and a bottle of Ardbeg must have gone down well that night ;-)
I know a bit of wet and wind won't worry you, but I'm worried about your garmin - on day 6 your trace has a big high peak in the middle when you were on the ferry (or perhaps the red line on the map and the height chart don't line up?)!
Enjoy the rest of the trip!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

Today's ride: 119 km (74 miles)
Total: 441 km (274 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0