In Ottweiler - French Pootle - CycleBlaze

May 22, 2024 to May 24, 2024

In Ottweiler

Not only do I have a German sister-in-law, I have a brother, Brian, who is married to Petra. They live in the town of Ottweiler in Saarland, which is the state in Germany that butts up against France and Luxembourg. Petra grew up in Ottweiler. They moved back here to care for her mother a few years ago and have stayed on. I’ve been to Ottweiler several times over the years, but this is my first visit since they moved here. 

The house they live in now is more than 300 years old, with original wooden beams. Among other things it’s been a pharmacy, a school, and a brewery. Most recently it was a restaurant they used to patronize, but the owners decided to convert the building into a living space. 

Where my brother and sister-in-law live now. Still identified as a brewery, which it hasn’t been for a very long time.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Inside, the original 300+ year old beams are still holding up the place.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Thick walls too.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Who doesn’t want an old well in their place? Above it hangs something we think was used to hoist water.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Where the hops were cooked, we think.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Far end of the bricked back yard, complete with leftover Karlsberg beer lights. That wall might be part of the old city walls.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A view that includes the Turm, a symbol of the town.
Heart 5 Comment 3
Nancy GrahamWhat is the Turm?
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Kathleen JonesTo Nancy GrahamSorry Nancy, it’s the tower (Turm) in the background.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Nancy GrahamTo Kathleen JonesThanks Kathleen. A new word for me ;’-).
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
In the Altstadt.
Heart 5 Comment 0
They knew how to make retaining walls that last.
Heart 5 Comment 0
In the Altstadt, which also flooded with the persistent rains last week. You can see some of the debris removed from the building off to the side.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Karen PoretThe sundial on the wall isn’t doing its job of keeping the sun out enough!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Old city wall.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Brian and Petra got beautiful e-bikes with belt drives at the start of the pandemic. From there Brian got into bike touring. I thought it would be fun to do a tour together this year but he’s a lone wolf. Fair enough, I ride mostly by myself too. 

Today Brian offered to lead me on a second shakedown ride, after the short one I did yesterday turned up a few things. We rode by a bike shop where I got a different seat, and then shortened the route when we needed to go to his bike dealer to tighten up the shifting on Petra’s bike and to beat some incoming showers. It was a lovely little ride.

Still all smiles even though we just determined that we need to reroute somewhat to go by the dealer’s to fix the slipping gears.
Heart 4 Comment 0
I’m calling her Big Red for the duration. Petra can name it what she wants when she gets her back.
Heart 5 Comment 0
So, you’re both leaving Bliesen and about to enter it.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Just a nice day.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And a nice bike path.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Brian and I did one more shakedown ride the day before leaving to meet the others in Metz. A little longer, a little hillier, but a lovely route. Yesterday and today I carried three liters of water in glass bottles in each pannier to give me an idea of how Big Red will handle under a load. This bike is going to work out well.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Varied terrain today, with a good portion through wooded areas.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The high point of our ride today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These gals were hilarious. First they slowly approached, then then turned tail and ran away. As I then moved away they came back, then they ran away again.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Brian coming back to see what the hold-up is. Just taking photos.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 77 km (48 miles)
Total: 77 km (48 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 11
Gregory GarceauI don't really have much of a comment, but I'm excited to be the first person to post one on your new journal. Have fun!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Kathleen JonesThanks, Greg, you’re a swell pal you are.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltMemories! I was stationed near Ramstein AFB and lived in little Erzenhausen '76-'78. I remember passing through Ottweiler a few times.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Nancy GrahamSounds like you will have a good time biking while there. I am of course envious of your touring with Suzanne & Janos! Will follow along with Suzanne’s journal.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Suzanne GibsonYou are lucky to have a brother in Ottweiler.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Tricia GrahamReally glad to hear you are on your way just a pity your initial route won’t work as it would have been outstanding
We are in Spain and start riding from near Paris on June 2
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Kathleen JonesTo It’s changed only a little since the 70s, I’m sure, Bill. 🤣 It was the mid 80s when I visited here the most.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Kathleen JonesTo Nancy GrahamGetting to ride with Suzanne and Janos is a dream come true. If we didn’t I would have trekked to Munich no matter what.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Kathleen JonesTo Suzanne GibsonYes, and the whole family is lucky Petra can put up with him.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Kathleen JonesTo Tricia GrahamI’m so glad you’re in this neck of the woods too, and can’t wait to read about your travels.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
marilyn swettIt's so great to see you posting another journal! But it's got to be hard to adjust to touring on an upright "wedgie" bike. I know we could never do it. We're much too comfortable on recumbents. Enjoy your tour!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago