In Hattonchâtel - French Pootle - CycleBlaze

May 29, 2024

In Hattonchâtel

I decided last night at dinner that I was not going to ride today. Then during breakfast as the others were discussing ride possibilities, I wavered. Then I was given the opportunity to volunteer to find us a place to dine tonight other than at the chateau, and I knew that would take me a while. So decision made. Next chore to do after breakfast was to make reservations for lodging tomorrow night; we brought our laptops to Suzanne and Janos’ room and worked something out. That done, we all went our separate ways. And serendipitously left the chateau at about the same time despite the cool and drizzly weather. Janos off on his own route with his drone, Susan and Suzanne heading out into the countryside, me to find someone in reception to recommend dining places, then stroll around the village.

These gals are ready to ride despite the less-than-ideal weather.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Making a grand exit.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Now that they’re gone, let’s talk about the chateau. 

There’s been something here since the 9th century, when, according to Wikipedia, Bishop Hatto built a little place (it had to be a bishop, didn’t it). The extant chateau that was here during World War I was pretty much destroyed. An American benefactress named Miss Belle Skinner bankrolled the design and building of the current chateau, which was finished in 1928. I assume the German officers in WWII knew a good billet when they saw one so apparently it escaped unscathed.

The people of the village of Hattonchâtel are most appreciative of Miss Skinner, with a few plaques around, and Rue Miss Skinner leading to the chateau. She never saw the finished edifice. She died of pneumonia in Paris on her way to see it.

I have a great room. I didn’t realize until I got to this place how much the apartment in Metz depressed me. This room has a brocade bedspread, high ceilings, windows without closed shutters, a fireplace, quiet. About the same square footage as the apartment. Plus it was in a chateau. In France.

La vue depuis ma fenêtre, avec des bloqueurs de vue.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Classy rain spouts.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 1
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
This … being never failed to startle me as I finished coming down the circular staircase.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Karen PoretWell, it does appear to be a “drum major” ..couldn’t resist that pun, Kathleen. ;)
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

Now let’s move about the village. 

Heart 2 Comment 1
Karen PoretCheck out the birdcages! :)
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0

I never did find anyone at the chateau to ask about dinner recs, but to my immense relief I did find Julian from the local tourist office. He was reading his phone, waiting for business at a table set up outside his van. It put me in mind of the Maytag repair man, who never was needed. Here Julian was, in a tiny village at the top of a ridge in the middle of the week with threatening weather, and even though he had to put his English to the test, he was glad to have something to do. 

The main problem I came across while searching for a place to eat was that everything nearby was closed on Wednesdays. Such as today. But luckily we have a car and can range further afield. I left with three or four good options that I would run by the gang later. 

This is Julian, who works for the “Heart of Lorraine” tourism office, and was open for business on a slow Wednesday. His van was very well equipped with information about everything you’d want to see or do in the area. He saved me from hangry cyclists.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The war memorial, with some charred walls in the background. In the foreground is the waiting woman.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rue Miss Skinner
Heart 6 Comment 0
The view through the mairie
Heart 5 Comment 0
Someone working on their allotment. But what’s that down below out there?
Heart 3 Comment 0
Closer view of an abandoned building. Never did find out what it was.
Heart 3 Comment 0

I found a lane that went out into the fields and enjoyed the quiet. 

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like white campion

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/79109-Silene-latifolia
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Kathleen JonesiNaturalist told me the same.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Kathleen JonesTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks, Bill!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltMight be wild carrot

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/1043617-Daucinae/browse_photos?place_id=6753
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Kathleen JonesTo Bill ShaneyfeltI had one person confirm Rough Chervil (Chaerophyllum temulum).

And get this, from Wikipedia: Chaerophyllum temulum has been used in folk medicine, in small doses, to treat arthritis, dropsy, and chronic skin complaints, and as a spring tonic. The early modern physician Boerhaave (1668–1738) once successfully used a decoction of the herb combined with Sarsaparilla to treat a woman suffering from leprosy – **in the course of which treatment temporary blindness was a severe side effect following each dose.**
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like you are correct!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

Of the three options for dinner in the nearby town of Saint-Mihiel, the group nixed the first offer, and the second option was closed despite all other info to the contrary. Lucky for me the third option was across the intersection and open. We had a great meal.

Dinner crowd in Saint-Mihiel
Heart 5 Comment 0
Street Between Two Streets Street in its entirety.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonYou made the right choice to explore the town!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Kathleen JonesTo Rachael AndersonI agree. It was a nice little place to explore.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago