Lincoln birthday ride - Four in One (UK from April to July) - CycleBlaze

June 26, 2024

Lincoln birthday ride

morning with Ruby - night with friends

 Another year gone. It's scary.

 Not very much cycling today, so this is a short post...

 It's nice that we're back from Wales to have a get-together and Ruby drives over to Dave's to pick Debbie and myself up and takes us to Doddington Hall for an early lunch. 

 The hall is Elizebethan, but its large Grain Store cafe is new - it wasn't built two years ago when I visited. Thankfully it's not very busy today - Ruby and I have been quite a few times since I arrived and it's been hard to get a table as the food is invariably good. Debbie orders French toast topped with fruit and demolishes the lot.  

 We then take a slow walk down to a pond within the grounds and enjoy the summer weather. It actually feels a bit too hot and on the way back to Dave's we stop off for an ice cream.

Debbie's lunch at Doddington Hall
Heart 2 Comment 0
Enjoying some shade with Ruby at Doddington Hall
Heart 4 Comment 0

 In the late afternoon, Dave gets his bike out and the three of us ride along the familiar cycle path beside the river, cross over the footbridge and make our way up to the top part of Lincoln - to the Morning Star to be precise. 

 When I was young there was a rough path that went across a field, but it's disappear and we have to lug our nbikes up a dozen sets of stone steps. We're still sweaty when we reach the pub and in need a drink. 

 As the weather is so nice, we get a big table outside in the rear yard. The benches seats soon fill up with friends and before long there's a dozen of us sat around chatting. What better way to celebrate a birthday.

 

Over the footbridge into Lincoln
Heart 1 Comment 0
Outside at The Morning Star
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Maggie
Heart 2 Comment 0
Dave
Heart 2 Comment 0
Mark
Heart 2 Comment 0
My brother
Heart 2 Comment 0

 Food is needed, so we collectively decide to head down Steep Hill to an Indian restuarant. Our group is come down to seven, with us three with bikes enjoying an easy ride. We beat the others by a couple of minutes.

 It's dark when we set off for Dave's house and maybe we're over the limit, but the cycle path is safe enough.

Dave and Debbie about to cruise down Steep Hill to the Bombay Restuarant
Heart 2 Comment 2
Scott AndersonHey, I know that spot!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Graham FinchTo Scott AndersonYes... I knew you would.

I was thinking also of the photo you had titled Market Street - that's about where I took a photo of the guy in that black T-shirt.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Indian for a late dinner
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 12 km (7 miles)
Total: 956 km (594 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Scott AndersonYou’re right, it is scary. Enjoy ‘em while you’ve got ‘em.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Kathleen JonesNow that’s a good birthday. Belated HB2U.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Graham FinchTo Scott AndersonI do my best... like you two.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Graham FinchTo Kathleen JonesYes, it was a wonderful day. Many thanks!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago