Williamstown to Erving - Bicycle Tour in 1981 - CycleBlaze

August 17, 1981

Williamstown to Erving

Before we left Williamstown, we were invited to return on Saturday evening for a party. By this time, I felt like I never wanted to leave but we had to complete this trip. Since it should be done, well before Saturday, we might be able to come back for the party. 

As it turned out, there was a party at the finish for us on Saturday, so we were not able to return. Re-reading all of this, so many years later, I wish we had been able to go back. We had a wonderful time in Williamstown with Dan, Jen and Mike.

As we passed through North Adams, Massachusetts, we met and teamed up with two other cyclists from Springfield (MA). The four of us rode to the hairpin turn on SR-2. The view from up there was fantastic. There is one of those town sighs up there that says, Entering Florida. Of course, it is the very small town of Florida, Massachusetts. I've seen that sign in the Winter, when all around are snow covered mountains. Very ironic, to say the least. From the summit, we descended nearly all the way to Charlemont. There, our route and that of the two cyclists diverged. They headed South on SR-8A while we continued East on SR-2. 

Collage of 4 photos from our riding in Western Massachusetts: Upper left, the Connecticut River, Lower left, a pause along the road; Lower right, at the hairpin turn on Route 2, with our two cycling companions from Springfield; the reservoir in Clinton, Massachusetts (next chapter).
Heart 0 Comment 0

The cool start had by now begun to warm up as we rolled on further to Greenfield. We had followed the Deerfield and North Rivers for a while but our route then crossed the Connecticut River at a beautiful spot called the French Bridge. The roads and scenery in Western Massachusetts have been very impressive. The pace of life here is much more relaxed than it is in the Boston suburbs. We've enjoyed the ride through the Berkshires and this part of the Bay State. 

In another 15 miles, we arrived in Erving. It is a quiet community surrounded by green hills. Because rain was forecasted, and the skies were overcast, we sought shelter and were given permission to stay in the foyer of a Catholic Church. As the evening progressed, the sky cleared completely! It turned out to be a wonderful penultimate night on the road.  

Today's ride: 58 miles (93 km)
Total: 5,127 miles (8,251 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0