Where in the Hell is Helmville? - Bicycle Tour in 1981 - CycleBlaze

June 28, 1981

Where in the Hell is Helmville?

The Copper Queen

By this evening, we made it to this small town in Powell County that is surrounded by hills, mountains, and farmland. 

We were up by 7:00 AM and ate breakfast at the Pancake Parlor. I had four delicious carmel-pecan pancakes. We then went to Mass, did some shopping, and got rolling by 11:00 AM. The ride began at a leisurely pace, on Route 200, and following the rolling hills along the Blackfoot River.

Paul, fixing a flat tire in a nice spot, on the road to the east of Missoula, Montana.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped for an hour in a roadside cafe, somewhere out there, then reluctantly returned to the road. Some days are like that… your motivation is in the toilet. But after that break, we got a second wind and really started putting down the miles. 

Collage of 4 photos: Scenes from the road in Montana.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We made it to Helmville by 7:30 PM. It is located on SR-271, about a mile off of Highway 141. At a bar called the Copper Queen, we inquired about a place to camp. The bartender said there was not a park in town but he owned several acres behind the bar and we were welcome to camp in the fields back there. We were grateful for his hospitality and gladly accepted. He seemed a typical Montanan, rough, tough, funny, and hospitable.

While we were setting up our campsite and cooking something to eat, we overheard a verbal spat between the bartender and his wife. Apparently, we were part of the disagreement between them. At one point, she referred to us as kids. Eventually, the heated exchange died down and we were not approached by anyone. "The kids" spent a restful night behind the Copper Queen, in Helmville, Montana.

More scenes from the road, in Montana.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 68 miles (109 km)
Total: 2,304 miles (3,708 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0