Three Days Off - Bicycle Tour in 1981 - CycleBlaze

May 16, 1981 to May 18, 1981

Three Days Off

Exploring the Bay Area

Description of Events:

May 16, 1981: We had a great time in San Francisco today. What a beautiful city! The weather was gorgeous. Ann drove in, we parked in Chinatown, and walked all around it. We got some take out food and sat on a wall eating with chopsticks amidst the stares of the Asian people passing by. 

Then we walked down to another beautiful and lively area around Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39. All kinds of people were about and various activities were happening all around us. There was a high diver who jumped off what appeared to be a very high board and into a small swimming pool. He survived but my action photo of him did not turn out. 

Ann and I, walking around San Francisco.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Later on we had ice cream and walked around some more  before making the long uphill trek back to Ann's car. My notes say we spent what seemed to be a very quick five (5) hours enjoying the sights and sounds of the city. I sure had a wonderful time.

May 17, 1981: Today, We went to church in the morning and then Bruce the bartender (from Bar 12) took Ann, Paul, and I to the Golden Gates Fields horse racing track in Oakland. On the way, we passed by Candlestick Park, where the Giants play baseball. Bruce let me get out and snap a photo from along the highway.

Candlestick Park, (former) home of the San Francisco Giants professional baseball team. This is how it appeared in May 1981.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Bruce's enthusiasm for the fun of betting on horses was the deciding factor for going to the track instead of the ball game. One goal of this trip for us was to experience different things, so the track and the chance to observe a master in action met the criteria. It turned out to be a good decision, even though Bruce was the only one of us who ended up winning any significant money. Being the great guy he is, Bruce took us all out for dinner at a place near the Oakland Coliseum, where the football Raiders play. We had a great time.

From there, we went back to Bar 12 for short time. As had been the case on the night we arrived, the patrons were all very friendly to us. They were impressed with what we were doing and couldn't have been nicer. Paul got into an informal pool tournament and did very well. He eventually lost to a guy name Frank, who we were told was the best in the house. Not too bad a performance for Paul. We then called it a day and headed back to Ann's place. It had been another wonderful day in the Bay Area. This has definitely been a good stop for us. 

Two more images form our walking tour of San Francisco: Top, Alcatraz Island; Bottom, Looking down toward the water from the top of a steep street in San Francisco.
Heart 0 Comment 0

May 18, 1981: This was a day of running a few errands, readying the bikes, and resting up to continue our journey. We got some maps from the Triple A office. We had been toying with the idea of heading inland to avoid the headwinds, the cold, and the rain along the coast. But after looking the maps over, we decided to stay on the coast, for better or worse. Barring anything unusual, we will depart from here tomorrow morning. It will be tough to leave. Ann is great.  So are Bruce and the Bay Area. It is beautiful here and we had a fantastic time. This stop will be hard to beat.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0