Spring Canyon Park to Harrington - Bicycle Tour in 1981 - CycleBlaze

June 19, 1981

Spring Canyon Park to Harrington

As was expected, the climb out of Spring Canyon was difficult... you may remember that we had a 6-mile downhill ride to get into the Columbia River Basin, where the GCD is located, on Wednesday (6/17/81). After a day off, it was time to pay the piper. There were 8 miles of climbing altogether, the first 6 of which were the most difficult. At the top, we enjoyed a vista of Wilbur (Washington), 11-miles away, across the wheat fields. With renewed vigor, we covered that distance quickly. After a break in town, we rode for 30  miles on US-2, to Davenport. Then we rode on to Harrington, approximately another 10 miles down the road.

Harrington had a nice park where we were permitted to camp. A nice quiet evening was unfolding when a group of 7 cyclists pulled in. After our initial surprise, we all began conversing and a great night of story trading began. We probably stayed up later than we should have but everyone was having a good time and it was all good.

Collage of 4 photos: Upper left, a few members of the group of 7 cyclists that we camped with in Harrington; Lower left, on the road in Eastern Washington; Lower right, a crop duster touched down adjacent to us while we were riding; Upper right, with Mrs. Lotte-H and the local Catholic Priest, in Sprague, Washington (6/21/81-photo taken by Mr. Richard-H).
Heart 0 Comment 0

Someone had advised Paul and I that we might find some work in Sprague, which was the next town down the road. What we didn't yet know was that we were about to have one of the truly memorable weekends of the trip.

Today's ride: 59 miles (95 km)
Total: 1,889 miles (3,040 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0