Sausalito to Bodega Bay - Bicycle Tour in 1981 - CycleBlaze

May 20, 1981

Sausalito to Bodega Bay

We Became 3 Again

Description of events: We covered 63 tough miles today. No mechanical problems but the ever present wind and hilly terrain challenged us.

 Between Sausalito and Stinson Beach were three big climbs, of which Mount Tamaulipas, aka Mount Tam, was involved. We were riding through John Muir country, the famed Marin County. It was beautiful and at least for a little while, sunny and warm. 

A collage of 4 photos: Bottom left, Paul on the Golden Gate Bridge (GGB); Bottom right, a view of riding across the GGB; Top right, the terrain along Highway 1, heading North up the coast, you can see one of us as a speck in the middle of the photo; Top left, looking back down the road we were climbing along the coast, with Paul's bike, Dave, and I.
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we rode through Stinson Beach, I remember thinking that a person would be doing well to be settled here for the duration. As we approached Point Reyes Station (PRS), we met another cyclist, Dave-V. He was originally from Wisconsin but now living in Eugene, Oregon. He was headed back there. We took a lunch break with Dave in PRS and compared notes. Based on that initial meet and discuss, we mutually agreed to ride together for a while. Dave seemed to be a nice guy. He was intelligent, easy going, and had a dry sense of humor. He seemed to enjoy our company.

After the lunch stop, the wind picked up again. The wind resistance and the hills made for a long afternoon. We arrived in Bodega Bay around 6:30 pm and found a campground on the water.  Although it was still very windy, we were told that about 15 miles to the North, at Jenner, the wind would die down. However, the hills would become more difficult. Not exactly what we wanted to hear but one has to meet the challenges that come as the ride unfolds. At least the scenery has been beautiful all along the coast thus far.

We were also told about a huge hill, much further to the North, before getting to Leggett. It sounded daunting but we have some time to get mentally prepared before reaching it. We're happy to be camped out again. We were under the stars tonight... something different! 

Today's ride: 63 miles (101 km)
Total: 570 miles (917 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0