Roseville to Bloomington-Normal - Bicycle Tour in 1981 - CycleBlaze

July 24, 1981

Roseville to Bloomington-Normal

Another Century Ride

We left TP's house at 7:30 AM and headed East in a dense fog that lasted for a couple of hours. We did learn that his real name was Tom, before we left. Despite the fog, we made good time and did a major bypass of Peoria city, using more country roads in the process.

TP and Paul, on a foggy morning as we prepared to depart.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We crossed the Illinois River and entered the small city of Pekin. There, I needed to clean and grease my pedals again to eliminate an annoying  squeaking sound. As we headed out of town, we came upon a cemetery where former Illinois Senator, Everett Dirksen was buried. We looked around for a few minutes and paid our respects before moving on.

The miles seemed to fly by because the terrain was flat and the wind was behind us. We rolled into a twin cities area called Bloomington-Normal. It is the home of Illinois State University. Since we have had good fortune finding lodging at colleges, it seemed a logical place to conduct a search. While riding along, we were greeted by a fellow named Kevin, who was in our age bracket. During conversation, we learned that he had done some bicycle touring. He offered us a place to crash in his basement, which we gladly accepted. Kevin was a great guy and very hospitable. We slept on couches in his basement that night. Once again, we had a good day of riding, met another good person, and were treated very well on this trip.

Today's ride: 102 miles (164 km)
Total: 3,909 miles (6,291 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0