Rankin, Illinois to West Lafayette, Indiana - Bicycle Tour in 1981 - CycleBlaze

July 27, 1981

Rankin, Illinois to West Lafayette, Indiana

Boilermakers for a Little While

Our Hot Streak of good days and good people continued today. The Iowa doldrums completely vanished in Illinois and our good fortune is continuing here in Indiana. We're in good shape and in good hands here on the campus of Purdue University tonight.

We got a late start from Bob-M's place, in Rankin, Illinois because it rained until almost Noon. Paul caught up on his sleep while I tinkered with my bike. At the noon hour, we bade the M-family good bye and headed on down the road. Nineteen (19) miles later, we left the friendly territory of the Illini behind and entered the Hoosier State. 

At a market in Pine Village, a fellow with a very dry sense of humor stopped to talk with us while we were munching on fresh fruit out in front of the place. He opened with, "Do you think you have enough shit on your bikes?" We laughed and tried to explain, to no avail, what it was that we were doing. All that did was to give him more material with which to poke some good natured fun at us. We needed some laughs and his timing was impeccable. We rode on, with smiles on our faces.

On the Purdue campus, we began looking for the LXA house. But on the way, we passed a mansion that was a fraternity house. It was the home of Kappa Delta Rho (KDR) and we stopped to ask directions. The house manager, Brian-A, answered the door and the rest became history. We hit it off really well. Brian was obviously proud of the place and offered to give us a tour, which we accepted. The house was very modern, large, and it had about anything one could think of to satisfy the needs of college students in 1981. 

At a point during the tour, Brian invited us to simply stay there, instead of continuing to look for the LXA house. We couldn't help but to take him up on the offer. We met a number of the other fraternity brothers, all of whom treated us very well. We cooked dinner in what appeared to be an industrial sized kitchen with a large number of tables in what was a cafeteria-style dining room. This place was tremendous and a far cry from the rundown old frat house that our chapter had available back when I was in college.

Collage of 4 photos from Indiana: Lower left, the state line; Lower right, on the road in the Hoosier State; Upper right, at the city mission, in Kokomo (next chapter). The fellow in the middle was a young man who was quite taken with us and our trip. We wished him well but we also wished he could have come along with is for a while. I think it would have changed the trajectory of his life in a positive direction; Upper left, with Brian, in front of the KDR house, as we were leaving.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After dinner, Brian took us out to meet some of his friends and to see the town. We had a great time with everyone we met and when it was finally time to retire for the night, I went to sleep with a smile on my face, once again. Purdue University is a wonderful place, made even more special by Brian and the KDR fraternity chapter.

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 4,022 miles (6,473 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0