Purdue to Kokomo - Bicycle Tour in 1981 - CycleBlaze

July 28, 1981

Purdue to Kokomo

On a Mission (or in a Mission as the case may be)

Hoosier hospitality continued today but with a twist. We awoke to yet more rain, which did not stop until nearly 2:00 PM. Brian allowed us to hang around until the rain stopped, at which time we thanked him and headed off. With a tailwind and the looming threat of rain, we covered nearly 50 miles in around 4 hours. 

That "feat' included a 45-minute stop at a cafe in Russiaville.  There, we were conversing with eight (8) local people who asked a lot of questions about our trip and listened intently to our answers. When we asked about possible camping spots in Kokomo, they all recommended the city mission in town. Because it was forecasted to rain again tonight, the mission would be the best place to stay dry. We didn't need much convincing and rode straight to the place. The Mission takes in anyone who doesn't have a place to stay. It has a three day maximum that includes meals and showers. A sign said, "No Booze."

Most of the guests ranged from early 20s to men who looked to be close to retirement age. Although down on their luck, nearly everyone we met in there was extremely friendly and helpful. They were more concerned about our welfare than their own. We got asked a lot of questions about our trip and they enjoyed hearing our stories. 

This experience was yet another unique one for both of us. I never thought I would ever be inside a shelter for homeless men, let alone spend the night in one. I am happy to have had the experience as part of this adventure and as part of my life education. When it was time to go to sleep, we were all on cots in a dormitory style room. Initially, the cacophony of snoring and coughing kept me awake but I eventually fell asleep myself, likely joining the chorus!

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 4,071 miles (6,552 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0