Pittsburgh - Bicycle Tour in 1981 - CycleBlaze

August 3, 1981

Pittsburgh

A Day Off in the Steel City

After an early breakfast, Peggy drove us into Pittsburgh, to see some of the town and the University of Pittsburgh (Pitt). Before her class, she dropped us off at the Student Union building, where I looked up my old fraternity and found they had a chapter on campus. Like some of the others we  had looked for earlier in this trip, their house was closed for the Summer vacation.

Collage of 4 photos from our time in Pittsburgh: Upper left, Three Rivers Stadium, as seen from Mount Washington; Upper right, with Uncle Lou and Peggy, in front of their home in Ingomar; Bottom photos, a panorama (sort of) of the point and the Confluence of the three rivers, the Allegheny, The Monongahela, and the Ohio.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Later on, we went to the top of the Cathedral of Learning, the tallest building on the Pitt campus. From the top (36th floor), there is a commanding view of the city and its surroundings. It is also quite a trek, taking all of those steps to the top. I suppose we were in good condition for it. The ground floor of the Cathedral has what they call the Nationality Rooms. They are a variety of classrooms decorated in the styles of the individual countries they represent. Each is unique and the lot of them make for a very interesting tour.

After her class, Peggy took us into the heart of the city. We rode on the Duquesne Incline from the river level to the top of Mount Washington, a high bluff that overlooks the three rivers, the city, and the entire river valley. The incline is an enclosed car with rail-like wheels that rides on tracks. It is pulled up and lowered down by a cable and pulley system. The term, for these inclined plane cars, is funicular vehicle. There used to be a number of them (they are called "inclines" in this area) operating in Pittsburgh but at this time, there are only 2 left, the Duquesne and the Monongahela. They operate daily, servicing as commuter transportation and as tourist attractions. In the old days, some of them hauled freight and vehicles up and down the mountain. 

The incline in Johnstown, Pennsylvania (about 90 minutes East of Pittsburgh) is a good example of one of those that is capable of handling vehicles and freight. At this time, Fall 2024, the incline in Johnstown is closed but the tracks going up the steep hill and the stations at the top and bottom are still visible.

The Duquesne Incline, on a postcard that I sent home from Pittsburgh, August 3, 1981.
Heart 0 Comment 0

From the top of Mount Washington, you can see The Golden Triangle, which is the point where the Allegheny and the Monongahela Rivers meet to form the Ohio River. Also visible are, Point Park (with its fountain), Gateway Plaza, Station Square, and Three Rivers Stadium. We enjoyed these views and talked with Peggy for a bit more. Then she dropped us off at the point and went to another class. We spent more time in the Downtown area and then found out where we could get a bus back to Ingomar. The #11C bus took us to within a short walk of Uncle Lou's house.

Once there, he and Aunt Marge fed us with a big meal of spaghetti and meatballs. We all sat around talking until nearly Midnight. Tomorrow morning, we will be back on the road again but this visit wwas great and will keep us moving forward.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0