Lincoln, Nebraska to Red Oak, Iowa - Bicycle Tour in 1981 - CycleBlaze

July 19, 1981

Lincoln, Nebraska to Red Oak, Iowa

Iowa!

East of Lincoln, the terrain became more rolling and there were more trees than we had seen in a while. The humidity made the air thick enough to cut with a knife. The towns through which we were passing had more people, tree-lined streets, more curves, and more houses. A downside was that some of the people were less friendly than what we had been experiencing. An exception was something we had heard several times in the Cornhusker State. Carloads of smiling young women would ride by and whoop it up out of their windows. We referred to the phenomenon as the Nebraska Mating Call. Unfortunately, no field studies were conducted to verify our hypotheses. 

Paul, feigning that he doesn't know which way to go.
Heart 0 Comment 0

From a hilltop in Plattsmouth, we caught sight of the Missouri River. It marked the boundary between Nebraska and Iowa. The cornfields of Iowa seemed to be beckoning to us. From that perch, we went down, down, and down across the bridge and into Iowa. Even though the terrain was in our favor, we pedaled hard to make it there and get into our 8th state of the trip before this day would conclude. 

From a high point near Plattsmouth, Nebraska, we could see the Missouri River and into Iowa.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After entering Iowa, there were 6-8 miles of relatively flat ground before the hills, that everyone had been warning us about, began. Basically, they seem to be long grades but not especially steep, thus far. My journal further states that the hills only slow you down but would not prevent a century ride. We'll see what lies ahead.

We had planned to stop in Hastings but the sidewalks were rolled up for the night. So, we continued onward to Red Oak, where we could procure some supper fixings and use Paul's new stove. Legion Park provided comfortable surroundings and cold water that we used to rinse off the sweat, dust, and heat of the day. It was another great place to camp at the end of another long day on this fantastic bike tour.

Today's ride: 90 miles (145 km)
Total: 3,549 miles (5,712 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0