Bodega Bay to Anchor Bay - Bicycle Tour in 1981 - CycleBlaze

May 21, 1981

Bodega Bay to Anchor Bay

Pedaling on the Downhills

We intended to get off to an earlier start but had to dry everything off because it all got very wet again last night. Back to the Future (although that movie had not yet premiered in 1981). We covered 12 quick miles to Jenner, where we got breakfast at a country store.

Out of Jenner, there was a steep hill that was followed by an even steeper one before we reached Fort Ross State Park (FRSP). By the time we got there, we had covered another 12 miles. We met a Southbound cyclist, named Daniel, with whom we chatted for an hour. He was an interesting fellow who had covered some of the same ground we were headed for. The information gleaned was worth the time spent talking with him.

From FRSP, it was 15 more fast miles to Stewart's Point, where we decided to stop for lunch. Dave is still riding with us and is proving to be a good team member. The three of us had a good conversation with some locals during our break. 

The wind was picking up as the day wore on but we were able to continue making good time. It was 10 more miles to Guala. On the way, there was a beautiful spot where the Guala River meets the Pacific. By the time we got there, the wind was strong and howling. It was so strong that we needed to continue pedaling on some of the descents. 

We decided to get to Anchor Bay and find a campground. On the way there, we caught a break. The road was lined on both sides with trees that shielded us from the brute force of the wind. There was also a downhill grade into the campground, which helped the cause.

We're meeting and talking with all kinds of people. With most of them, conversation is easy and flows nicely. It seems that being on the road like this breaks down barriers between people who might otherwise not be inclined to enter into conversation with a passing motorist. We were dressed more like "regular people" and not like Tour de France cyclists. I think that helped, especially back in 1981, when all of this cycling was still rather new to most people. Back then (and maybe still today) that skin tight clothing looked weirder, the further one got from one's bicycle.

Another cyclist, with whom we spoke today, told us we have about 2 more days of wind. He said the area we had come through and are still in, is the worst for windy conditions. Although I am skeptical of his information, it does give a measure of hope. Despite the conditions we faced today, I feel pretty good and positive about the trip. If the tough weather persists, I feel like we will prevail. 

Paul was a little down, but he is handling things well... perhaps better than he perceives at the moment. On a long trip like this, there will be times when one team member is down. It will be the responsibility of the other member(s) to help that person through the tough times. It's my turn and I'm happy to do it. Dave is helpful too.

Today's ride: 55 miles (89 km)
Total: 625 miles (1,006 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0