Back on the Road - Bicycle Tour in 1981 - CycleBlaze

June 14, 1981

Back on the Road

Bellingham to Rockport

Sunday was an odd day to resume our trip but it wasn't raining and the road was calling our names. It was tough to leave our adopted Bellingham family but after a long goodby, we headed out. Chris had gone away on a business trip for a few days but Pat and the kids had taken very good care of us.  I think they enjoyed our company, as well.

Paul walked the family dog one last time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our adopted family in Bellingham.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Despite a late start, we covered 57 miles to Rockport rather easily. Our camping spot for the night was in Steelhead County Park that we reached around 4:30 PM. During the ride, we thought about going as far as Marblemount, another 14 miles down the road, but this park and camp spot were too nice to pass up, so here we are.

Our route was SR-20, the North Cascades Highway. We passed through a couple of nondescript towns, except for their names, Sedro-Wolley and Concrete. So far, it has been relatively flat and easy riding, what we needed for the first day back in the saddle. But we know what is coming down the road... climbing over the Cascades. 

We are hoping the clouds break up because there are some beautiful and snow capped mountains that it would be nice to be able to see more of. Once we get onto the other side of these mountains, we have been told the weather is sunnier and warmer. We've heard that before and have been dealing with rain and cold for so long, it doesn't seem possible. If it happens, it will be welcome indeed.

Today's ride: 57 miles (92 km)
Total: 1,629 miles (2,622 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0