Springsure - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

May 15, 2024

Springsure

As I was making our second cuppa of the morning, the lady with whom we shared the kitchen last night gifted us with some bread, eggs and fruit.  A touching start to the day.

The ride was uneventful.  I discovered that the Australian term for grasslands is "downs".  In Africa we call it savanah, prarie in North America,  pampas in South America etc.  The Bluegrass Downs through which we are currently traveling has been under threat due to agriculture and stock farming since the arrival of colonists in the mid nineteenth century and the grassland area is much reduced. 

This is also a big coal mining area and we aren't expecting much respite from mining activities for the next while.

One of the number of turnoff to mines along today's route.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The route undulated gently until after the forty kilometer mark when we climbed up over the Staircase Range.  The last few kilometers were downhill to Springsure.

Looking southwards from the top of the climb.
Heart 2 Comment 0

A second act of kindness came our way when the friendly young Filipino guy at the Roadhouse Campground refused payment for our night's campsite. 

Tomorrow we head for Emerald where we have a motel room booked for two nights.

Today's ride: 71 km (44 miles)
Total: 2,987 km (1,855 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0