Gumlu - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

June 9, 2024

Gumlu

It was nine o'clock by the time we left our comfortable cabin.  Almost the entire ride to Gumlu was on the Bruce.  We are well out of the sugarcane area now and the countryside is more attractive.  However,  we had to endure very heavy traffic, without which it could have been a really enjoyable ride.  In the end it was a relief to pull into the simple campground at the Gumlu Hotel.

I am reasonably sure that this Brown Falcon (Falco fasciatus) is the bird we we looking at yesterday when Leigh realised that she had forgotten her mobile phone in Bowen because it was sitting in the same spot as yesterday.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were busy enjoying our mugs of hot beverages when another cycle tourist rolled in.  Coby, a young Irishman, who has been (mostly) on the road for the past two years.   He is only the second other cycle tourist we have encountered on their bicycle in more than three months.  We are the first he has met since arriving in Australia a few weeks ago.  

After setting up our respective tents and having a shower we got together for a beer at the hotel's pub.

A short ride to Hone Hill tomorrow. 

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 3,959 km (2,459 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0