Etty Bay - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2024

Etty Bay

It was sometime after ten by the time we got going, cycling slowly for the first few kilometers in the vain hope of a potting a Cassowary. 

After eight kilometers we were back on the Bruce but thankfully just for eight kilometers.   There we turned off westwards onto a loop through sugarcane fields and banana plantations until we crossed the Bruce again to head down to Etty Bay. 

As we reached the crest of the short climb over the Moresby Range we saw a car stop next to a dark blob on the edge of the forest.  Bingo!

Southern Cassowary (Casuarius casuarius)
Heart 2 Comment 0

The tiny campground at Etty Bay is pretty full but we have a site for the night.  It's not cheap and the facilities or barely adequate but that is a small price to pay for the Cassowary. 

Etty Bay.
Heart 2 Comment 0
No crocodiles so a dip of our toes into the water was called for.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Not sure what our plans are for the rest of the week.  We need to get further inland to escape the rain but the thought of a one thousand three hundred meter climb up to the Atherton Tableland has us looking for alternatives.  We also need to get into a larger town again to restock our groceries which takes a big chunk out of the daylight hours available for safe cycling. So we might just head halfway up the climb after a day shopping in Innesfail as a compromise. 

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 4,581 km (2,845 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0