Epsom - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

May 24, 2024

Epsom

Last night one if the longer term residents at the caravan park fed us a horror story of how dangerous the road to Mackay was going to be.  "Bullbar to bullbar" traffic, no shoulder and a big drop-off thecside of the road.  He suggested we take another route heading back inland.  He did concede that the traffic might be lighter during the few hours leading up to midday. 

So we hit the road at nine.  It was rather cool and blustery with bits of rain but not enough to don our jackets.   The traffic was quite heavy but much lighter than between Moranbah and Nebo.  The shoulder was narrow for a few kilometers or so but then widened and we had great road conditions until we reached Epsom at about eleven thirty.   

Some over-sized vehicles today but lots of warning and time to pull off to make way for them.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesWow, that's a jumbo rig!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Bill Shaneyfelt74 wheels on the road!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

This appears to be Koala  territory with fences along the roadside to prevent them from crossing the road and signs with a  contact number to call should injured animals be found.  We stopped  a few times to look for them but without success.   

Unfortunately, the campground at the Retreat Hotel was shut while the ablution facilities were being upgraded.   We weren't keen to be on the road on a Friday afternoon so we took a room in the motel  instead.  This wasn't the worst move because the rain started falling heavily soon after we checked in.

We should be in Mackay by tomorrow afternoon.

Today's ride: 30 km (19 miles)
Total: 3,419 km (2,123 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0