Emerald - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

May 16, 2024 to May 17, 2024

Emerald

Thursday the 16th of May 2024

Another rather uneventful ride.  Springsure lies amongst some attractive hills but we left these behind after a few kilometers.   After that it was first some coal and  then some cotton.  Also lots of traffic.  The next week or so is the price we chose to pay for the visit to Carnarvon Gorge. 

North of Springsure we entered the downs again. Nice hills in the distance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An interesting place to stop for drinks and a snack. The bench is between and attached to two trees which seem to have grown at different rates.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The break in the picture above was just after forty kilometers.   From here onwards we had a headwind until Emerald.   On the way in we stopped at the Botanic Gardens making a note that we should return to it to do some birding. 

A big windmill at the entrance to the Botanic Gardens.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The motel unit we had booked turned out to be clean and comfortable.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Laundry and some shopping (groceries and chain lube) and an early night for two tired bodies. 

Friday the 17th of May 2024

Yesterday afternoon's ride around Emerald made us fear for the lives of its school children who were braving its crazy traffic to walk or cycle home from school.  There was a stream of kids trying to cross its main street which has not a single pedestrian crossing.   If one is not in a motor vehicle the town is effectively divided into two.  Even motor vehicles were struggling to overcome this obstacle.   The mind boggles.

After a proper breakfast of bacon, egg and tomato we set off for the Botanic Gardens where we enjoyed a couple of lazy hours of birding. 

A cycling track runs through the garden.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This patch of water made for some nice birding.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Little Black Cormorant (Phalacrocorax sulcirostris)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Little Pied Cormorant (Microcarbo melanoleucos)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Australasian Darter (Anhinga novaehollandiae)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pacific Black Duck (Anas superciliosa)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo (Cacatua galerita)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rainbow Lorikeet (Trichoglossus haematodus). Along with the Sulphur-crested Cockatoos, this species has frustrated me the most. So common yet so difficult to photograph. I have yet to get a picture of either species that I am happy with.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Then back at our motel to spend  a few hours of more cooking, eating and a bit of wine.  A lazy afternoon. 

Manana viajamos a Capella (I just had to say that in Spanish because it sounds so corny).

Tomorrow we travel to Capella.  I don't think there's much there but it is the next logical stop as we head, firstly north westwards and then eastwards, as we head to the east coast near Mackay.

A week or so of unpleasant cycling lies ahead of us.

Today's ride: 81 km (50 miles)
Total: 3,068 km (1,905 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0