What's the most valuable thing you've found on the road on a bike tour? (page 3) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

What's the most valuable thing you've found on the road on a bike tour? (page 3)

Jon AylingTo Wayne Estes

Very interesting! I've never been to that part of the States, but I did get the impression Bozeman was that kind of place, if only from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 month ago
John EganTo Jeff Lee

Peace & serenity.

<<<>>>

However .... riding very slowly up the grade from Yosemite Valley to Crane Flat something caught my eye on the side of the road among the pine needles. Since I never protest stopping on a big climb, I decided to investigate. It was a woman's wallet with $1000+ in it, plus a few quid, and a U.K. passport. I was almost up to Crane Flat, so I immediately stopped in at the ranger station. Turned out it was a woman from Scotland who had already reported her wallet and passport lost. I suspect she had put her wallet on top of the car when she filled up at the Crane Flat gas station. I never met her in person, but we stayed in touch for a few years afterwards.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 weeks ago
Rich FrasierTo John Egan

You're a class act, John.  Well done.  Cool that you stayed in touch for a while.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 weeks ago
Mark BinghamTo Jon Ayling

"I do however almost inevitably find a hat on every tour I ride - and moreover I now pointlessly and superstitiously keep them, even though I never wear them myself."

Jon, how big is your collection these days, and any interesting ones in particular?

Reply    Link    Flag
2 weeks ago
Jon AylingTo Mark Bingham

I think I've got maybe six hats now. They're all fairly similar baseball caps unfortunately - I don't know if that's just the most commonly worn, or if they're more likely to blow off on the road due to the peak!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 week ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Jeff Lee

I found my wife, or maybe she found me. Either eay we've been married 29 years now.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 week ago