What's the most valuable thing you've found on the road on a bike tour? - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

What's the most valuable thing you've found on the road on a bike tour?

Jeff Lee

On day seven of the 39-day bike tour I just finished, I found a pair of sunglasses on the shoulder of a busy California highway. I picked them up and put them in an extra sunglass case in a pannier, and forgot about them until I got home yesterday.

They are somehow completely undamaged, and apparently are pretty expensive. The brand is Tom Ford, and it says on them that they are made in Italy. They don't feel cheap.

I looked them up on the internet, and the price ranges from $200+ to $500!

Of course, maybe the pair I found are counterfeit, and not the real Tom Ford sunglasses.

Has anyone else found expensive items on the road while bike touring?

Reply    Link    Flag
1 month ago
John PickettTo Jeff Lee

Not a tour but this is hard to beat. One morning leaving home I found $120 in cash in the street. 

A few years later I found a $100 bill on the road a mile from home. It turned out to be movie money, fake money used in films. It looked remarkably legit but was a wee bit smaller than real money and the words "Movie Money" or words to that effect were printed on the bill.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 month ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Jeff Lee

The feeling that I am truly alive.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 month ago
Graham SmithTo Jeff Lee

A LedLenser torch (flashlight) still in its padded pouch. Found on the Monaro Highway. I’m not sure of its cost new, but about $80-$100. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 month ago
Kelly IniguezTo Jeff Lee

In 2020, during COVID, we rode border to border. Jacinto found THREE smart phones over the duration of the trip.  I'm not sure if people were expressing their frustrations by chucking their phone out the car window?

We haven't found even one phone on subsequent tours.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 month ago
Wayne EstesTo Jeff Lee

On a hot afternoon 6 days ago I stopped to rest in the shade at Creekside park, across the street from Bozeman (Montana) City Hall. Sitting on a park bench was a note saying "FREE! Enjoy". Next to the note was a bag containing a gram of cannabis, a small glass pipe, and a Bic lighter.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 month ago
John PickettTo Jeff Lee

I almost forgot that this summer just south of Lexington VA on the TransAm I came across a broken trash bag strewn along the side of the road. Among the debris were five syringes.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 month ago
Scott AndersonTo Jean-Marc Strydom

!!!  We need a like button in the forum.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 month ago
Graham SmithTo Wayne Estes

That’s a different type of high point on a cycle tour. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 month ago
George HallTo Jeff Lee

I've found lots of tools on my travels; here's an example --> Tools Found.  But the most valuable thing I have ever found is the Meaning of Life, or so it seemed to me at the time. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 month ago