Nutrition on Tour? (page 4) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Nutrition on Tour? (page 4)

Rachael AndersonTo Karen Cook

Congratulations on losing so much weight and good luck finding the right kind of food!  I also eat a lot of protein, mostly fish and poultry, but I also eat a lot of fruit and vegetables and healthy bread.  What I avoid is too much fat.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 month ago
Graham SmithTo Victa Calvo

Victa good point about legumes long cooking duration. At home I use a pressure cooker (and soaking) which accelerates the process greatly but that’s obviously not an option on tour. 

Other than The Gibb River Road I’ve not cycle toured anywhere remote enough (and even The Gibb isn’t really very remote) to need much in the way of durable food stores.  

Tinned fish (especially tuna), egg powder, potato starch, roasted nuts, olive oil, rolled oats, powdered milk, peanut butter, pasta, dried herbs, hard cheese, rye bread, wheat meal biscuits, pesto are some of the staples I’ve used as rations on long bush walks. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 month ago
Victa CalvoTo Graham Smith

Graham

Cous cous. I love cous cous. Zero water waste, ready in seconds. Great with dinner, also makes a tasty breakfast with dried fruit and honey.  

Flat pack foil tuna, cheap $3 Indian foil pack meals, oats and muesli, peanut butter, dried full cream milk, dried fruit, dried fish, dried mushrooms, dried shallots, dried organic chicken stock, tortillas, etc - all stuff you can pick up from a good supermarket - all very tasty and it will keep you going. But you won't get fat on it... 

That's what the pub meals are for. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 month ago
Andrea BrownTo Victa Calvo

I don't know about Australia but here in the states  you can buy packets (and cans of beans of course but holy hell are those heavy) of premade Indian lentil dishes, already spiced and seasoned. They would normally require rice but some instant noodles would probably be just fine with them as well. They are marketed for wimpy American palates like mine so are not overly fiery. 

Edit! I just saw your bit about Indian foil packs, yes, that's the one. You've got this figured out. Hugs to you and Ruth.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 month ago
Graham SmithTo Victa Calvo

Victa and Andrea thanks for the tip re tuna.
I found these today in a Harris Farm supermarket.

And I’ve remembered another good tip a young cycle tourer shared with me a few years ago. He was using chickpea flour (besan) to make fritters using his pot lid as a frying pan. Very quick to make, filling and nutritious. I can’t remember his exact recipe but I think it used the besan, milk powder and water, plus either fresh egg or egg powder.  And some sort of cooking oil. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 month ago