Front page photo, upside down. - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Front page photo, upside down.

Kelly Iniguez

I've noticed as I created journals, that I have a terrible time getting a photo that will work for the title page and the thumbnail. After I pick a photo of sufficient quality, almost always when I upload it, it's upside down. 

I think this happens because I am left handed and hold my phone 'wrong'. I have tried to be tricky and rotate the photo upside down on my phone using the edit feature before uploading it, but that doesn't work.

I just changed the photo on the title page (thank you Janice for the photo loan). I had to reject five scenery photos of my own before loading a photo of Jacinto that (I presume) a right handed person took. I felt sad, because I had some great Going to the Sun Road photos.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Reply    Link    Flag
2 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Kelly Iniguez

That’s very strange.  I’ve never experienced anything like this.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 months ago
Jeff ArnimTo Kelly Iniguez

This is definitely a thing. The CycleBlaze editor automatically reorients all uploaded photos to give them consistent rotation, but the title image and thumbnail components live outside the editor, and those images pass through a different flow. Apparently they aren't going through the same checks. I'm not sure how complex the fix will be, but I'll investigate!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 months ago
Kelly IniguezTo Jeff Arnim

thank you for checking this out Jeff. I don’t create that many journals, but surely there are some other left handed CBer’s out there. It’s validating to know this is a real problem and not operator error!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 months ago
Larry MitchellTo Kelly Iniguez

Kelly … I am a left handed cyclist as well but I haven’t seen that issue.  Don’t quite understand what you mean by holding your phone “wrong.”

Reply    Link    Flag
2 months ago
Kelly IniguezTo Larry Mitchell

I’m left handed, so I hold the bottom of the phone to the left. I just handed my phone to Jacinto, and told him to hold it like he’s taking a photo. He held the bottom of the phone to the right. 

It’s only a problem when creating a journal,  and doing the title photo/thumbnail photo. 

Reply    Link    Flag
2 months ago
Bob DistelbergTo Kelly Iniguez

I remember hitting this problem on a different service, maybe Strava, saving a profile picture. I'm left-handed as well. I THINK I remember ultimately getting around it by editing the photo with Google Photos, making some small arbitrary change, and then saving it as a copy, rather than saving the original. It seemed like that copy behaved itself when uploaded.

I've since gotten into the habit of taking landscape photos the right-handed way (just like I've adapted to using right-handed scissors).

Reply    Link    Flag
2 months ago
Wayne EstesTo Kelly Iniguez

I'm also left handed, but film cameras thoroughly conditioned me to press the  shutter button with my right hand.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 months ago
John PickettTo Kelly Iniguez

I'm right handed. It happens to me consistently. Just posted a journal with this problem this evening.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 months ago
John PickettTo John Pickett

Ok. I took one of my pictures and cropped it ever so lightly. Then I saved it under a different name. And it imported to Cycleblaze without a problem. Good thing because I was getting a headache from standing on my head to see the original images I used.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 months ago