What are you up to off-season? (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

What are you up to off-season? (page 2)

Brent IrvineTo Keith Adams

I find the TailRider perfect for quickly grabbing my camera.

Reply    Link    Flag
10 months ago
Keith AdamsTo Brent Irvine

You mentioned that the TailRider acts as your handlebar bag, but it looks like a bag made to ride atop the rear rack.  What's your configuration?

One of the features that attracted me to the GT-54s, apart from cavernous volume, is the detachable bag designed to carry long cylindrical objects like tents, that attaches to the rear of the right side pannier.

In all my other setups I've had the tent lashed to the top of the rear rack, which of course would have precluded use of a rack trunk (which I have- a very old one from Bike Nashbar, that doesn't see much service these days).  With the tent now clinging to the back of a pannier, the rack top will once again be free for some other use.

Reply    Link    Flag
10 months ago
Brent IrvineTo Keith Adams

I'm sorry I was unclear about the TailRider. What I meant is that it is my storage space for quick-grabs the way a handlebar bag is used. I put it on the top of my rear rack for anything I want access to throughout my riding day. It is easy when I  stop to reach back, flip open the bag and grab anything I need without getting off of the bike.

Reply    Link    Flag
10 months ago
Graham SmithTo Brent Irvine

Brent here in the antipodes, the days are long & warm so it’s full on cycle touring season. 
Sunset at 9pm here on the wild West Coast of NZ. I’ve just completed a 680 km cycle tour with two friends, mostly on the North Island.

Hokitika Beach 9pm

Now my wife and I are doing a driving tour of the South Island which is giving me lots of ideas for future cycle tours.

Reply    Link    Flag
10 months ago
Brent IrvineTo Graham Smith

We have friends in NZ who have an open invitation for us to  visit. We've not yet taken them up on it. I think a piece of heaven would be to spend 6 months in Canada (home) and 6 months in NZ. Yes, the split would be to have perpetual summer!

Reply    Link    Flag
10 months ago
George HallTo Brent Irvine

I'm dreaming of my next tour.  Most of the planning is basically done because I had originally intended to do the tour in 2023.  Unfortunately, some medical issues arose that caused me to postpone the tour - or maybe even cancel it.  I may or may not be able to tour again, I won't know that for a while yet - but if I am lucky and overcome some nagging cancer issues, then I will be touring again in 2024 or maybe 2025. If not, then... no point in considering the "if not" scenario. 

The good news is that I have been able to ride most days.  I ride a 15 mile route from home about 5 days per week.  Medical treatments have interfered with my training, and will continue to regularly interfere with my training, but I refuse to let them shut me down completely.  So while I'm not able to train at a level to prepare for a tour, at least I'm still able to ride.  

I am spending my down time reading other's journals.  I am reading journals that I wouldn't usually read, because I have time to do so now - this is a good thing, because other folks tour for reasons different than mine and I'm expanding my mindset by reading about their adventures and touring styles.   I also read books - funny thing is that it seems that many folks don't read books anymore.  But I always will.  Currently reading Neil deGrasse Tyson's book "Astrophysics For Those In A Hurry."  You never know when a knowledge of astrophysics might be needed on a bicycle tour. 

Reply    Link    Flag
10 months ago
Keith AdamsTo Brent Irvine

No worries, it's clear enough now.

I can actually dip into my handlebar bag for a snack or sometimes even getting the camera out for an on-the-go photo without even stopping, though I usually do stop.  couldn't do that with the TailRider plus, as I mentioned, the rear rack has usually been filled with my tent.

Reply    Link    Flag
10 months ago
Brent IrvineTo George Hall

I wish you well with your health issues, and I hope you have many more tours to ride and journals to write. We have a dear neighbour just beginning a long road with C so your mention of your illness hits home.

I love to read but haven't yet read Dr. deGrasse Tyson's book yet but I do watch some of his online discussions. Astrophysics and humour are a great combination!

Reply    Link    Flag
10 months ago
Keith KleinTo Keith Adams

Hi Keith,

Nice work. I’m also into woodworking, and just completed the following:

Knock-down magazine cabinet after a Roycroft original. No square corners or right angles except for the very top.

I’ve been doing this for about 40 years now, but until the pandemic I only produced about one piece per year, maybe two if I wasn’t able to tour much. 

I made all the furniture in this picture except the table lamp and the bed table which came from a hospital.

Pandemic stuff used up a lot of the scrap pile:

Gifts and desk furniture. I finished the desk during the lockdown.
Shelf and hooks for the bathroom. The tiles and the hooks were acquired on various tours and vacations.

Production has slowed down recently due to cancer surgery and radiation treatments, but hopefully that’s all behind me. 

Cheers,

Keith

Reply    Link    Flag
10 months ago
Keith AdamsTo Keith Klein

Hi Keith-

I knew you were a woodworker, having seen photos of your shop in someone's (Susan Carpenter's, maybe?) journal last year.  Your work far exceeds mine in complexity and quality of execution.  Beautiful!  And to think you manage all of that in the small space that is your workshop- most impressive.  

I understand, perhaps better than most, the limitations and challenges of a small workshop since mine is in the 9 by 20 space under our carport.  Two-plus feet of the 9 foot floor width are consumed by a kneewall to keep the foundation in place; what I lost in floor space is sorely missed but at least it's got a good big flat surface for storage and junk accumulation as partial recompense.

Best of luck in your treatment of and recovery from cancer.

Reply    Link    Flag
10 months ago