Selected photos of a bike tour in Northern Italy and Switzerland (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Selected photos of a bike tour in Northern Italy and Switzerland (page 2)

John PescatoreTo Graham Smith

I think I mentioned in another thread just having read the book "Traffic" by  Ben Smith. A good way to learn that Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is an art that helps drive up advertising revenue, not really one that helps people quickly find what they are looking for. 

For example, if I do a Google search for "bicycle touring journals" I see CycleBlaze, CGOAB (twice) and biketouringtips - in that order. So, for folks looking for journals, it appears that the original poster would see more hits on CycleBlaze from folks looking for journals.

Now, CycleBlaze and CGOAB could do SEO tricks and get more traffic, but why would they want to?

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Graham SmithTo John Pescatore

John that’s a good question. Why? 

Cycle-touring isn’t usually associated with profit, fame or any other of the usual commercial incentives. No one I know has taken up cycle touring for financial incentive reasons. 

In my limited experience with marketing, word-of-mouth is the most effective means to attract new ‘customers’.  Direct referrals and recommendations. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Bill StoneTo John Pescatore

"So, for folks looking for journals, it appears that the original poster would see more hits on CycleBlaze from folks looking for journals."

Visitors arriving at CycleBlaze probably wouldn't know to look for Ray's materials among all the journals here, whereas those arriving at his site would automatically see his materials. Thus, I don't think you can presume his material would get more hits if posted here.

But enough of that. I promise not to post a link to my Icelandic bicycling journal and photos from June and July, which is hosted at my own cycling site. ;-)

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Bill Stone

Bill, unfortunately you didn't even post a link over on Cycle365. But perhaps you aren't interested in hits? Anyway, I hope it was a good trip.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
John PescatoreTo Bill Stone

But, of course, "Thus, I don't think you can presume his material would get more hits if posted here." is also true of the original posters logic of looking at a Adventure Junkies "Best bicycle touring blogs" list to decide where to post. 

The bottom line really is if you want lots of viewers, you post content or "ads" for your content in lots of places - which is what the OP did by putting a link here - not a problem. 

If you enjoy a certain type of community, and not really interested in quantity of views, you post in one place or put "ads" in fewer places. Also not a problem!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bill Stone

Hey, I was looking for someone on Cycleblaze who had a journal about Iceland which would have interested our daughter and grandaughter who are currently hiking there. You missed out on many hits by not placing it here and we missed out on the information.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Bill StoneTo Steve Miller/Grampies

I have my own little site where I post all my bicycling material, and I'm very happy with it, no matter how few the hits. To duplicate the same material here (0r anywhere else) requires more time and effort than I prefer to expend. As to posting a link or "ad" here leading to material at my site, I get the feeling from earlier comments on this thread that's not such a welcome idea. I don't know how the owners/administrators/moderators really feel about such "ads." In any event, I enjoy reading journals here and occasionally participating in this forum, even though I don't duplicate my material here. Ride safe!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jeff LeeTo John Pescatore
Now, CycleBlaze and CGOAB could do SEO tricks and get more traffic, but why would they want to?

In the case of CGoaB, Neil Gunton makes his living from his website. Presumably, more traffic would lead to more donations.

Ironically, he seems to have been pretty successful despite what would appear to be various self-defeating actions over the years, such as intermittently blocking Google from indexing the site.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago