Day 9 - Bowling Green to Defiance - Two Far 2024 - Courthouse Tour - CycleBlaze

May 12, 2024

Day 9 - Bowling Green to Defiance

Heart 0 Comment 0

We started today's ride with a visit to the Wood County Courthouse  in downtown Bowling Green.  If we are going to chose the most beautiful county courthouse of the tour, I think this one is an early contender.

Wood County Courthouse
Heart 6 Comment 0
The rear of the building
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Detail of the carving above the entryway
Heart 3 Comment 0
Many places in northern Ohio honor War of 1812 heroes.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We rode past lots of farms on the way to Defiance.  We can't resist the collapsing barns!

Going, going, gone all in one picture
Heart 4 Comment 0

We rode through the little village of Weston.  Not much happening there.  There were only about three or four open businesses.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Empty roads with decent pavement - perfect!
Heart 3 Comment 0

When we came to Grelton, we saw a sign on the road that the historical society's museum was open.  It is only open the second Sunday of the month from 12-4, so we got lucky this time.  The entire museum is run by volunteers.  We met Bennie, who began the museum, and his daughter Peggy, who works with him and a few others to manage the artifacts and exhibits.

Bennie and Peggy told us all about the museum and their collections.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

There were two horses in this field, completely uninterested in us.

We haven't seen hardly any livestock so far on this tour.  I'm ready to start posting my daily cows.

Aloof horses
Heart 0 Comment 0

Are the carvings on this tree all carved from the original limbs, or are they added on?

I'd like to believe that they are all part of this tree, but how do I explain the eagle's wings?
Heart 2 Comment 0

We followed the muddy Maumee River for several miles today.  (Sorry for the blurry picture.)

The Maumee River
Heart 0 Comment 0

We crossed the Maumee to stop at a pizza place and found ourselves in Florida!  

We were in Florida, Ohio
Heart 2 Comment 2
Rich FrasierMaybe that’s an idea for a future tour? Go to towns named after some other place?
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithInteresting idea. We'll have to think about that - a "Where in the World Are We? tour.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

Several more miles of farms and we arrived in Defiance, where we will have another five night stay.

Another attractive farmstead
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 222 miles (357 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0