Day 086 - Estevan, SK to Crosby, ND - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

July 10, 2023

Day 086 - Estevan, SK to Crosby, ND

Heart 1 Comment 0


Today was a great day on so many levels.  When I got up this morning, it was very cool and misting.  Because I had a short ride ahead of me, I decided to hang around the hotel until noon, allowing the weather to warm up and clear up.  I had a leisurely breakfast and then spent the rest of the morning reading the paper and reviewing upcoming routes.   

Once I did get underway, the weather was great.  It was warm, sunny, and the wind was out of the north, meaning I would have a nice tailwind.    

It was just over 11 miles to the ND border where I had the easiest border crossing ever.  That may be attributable to the fact that Jeanna was immediately ahead of me and told the customs agent all about our trip. When I presented my passport, the agent just glanced at it and then waved me through, while wishing me luck.  

I met Jeanna in Noonan, where we had lunch in a real dive. We almost didn't go in because of the looks of the outside. However, the clerk at the nearby C-store had recommended it, so we went in and had a very good lunch.  While eating, a man and his 13-year-old daughter came in and sat next to us and a nice conversation ensued.  We learned that they live in Estevan, SK and the daughter plays little league.  They had come to Noonan, ND to pick up some baseball gear.   The man explained that it was much cheaper to buy the gear in the U.S. than it was in Canada.  He said that they would order stuff and have it shipped to a friend in Noonan, where they then would pick it up.  

The whole conversation brought back memories of a few years ago when we were in Canada.  I needed to order something, but having it delivered to a motel in Canada cost so much that I waited a few days and had it shipped to a motel in the States for the same reason.

Another big bird. The sign is for a park just north of the border. Saskatchewan is one of the main breeding grounds for the American White Pelican.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Back in the States. I took a similar photo last week at Pembina.
Heart 2 Comment 0
ND-47 from the border to Noonan had no shoulder, but it also had no traffic.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The metropolis of Noonan, ND on a Monday afternoon.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Roadside hay. When we were in ND in 2021, we learned that ranchers and farmers mow the right-of-way in exchange for the hay they can harvest. It seems to be a win-win situation for both the counties and the farmers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A patchwork of canola fields and hay fields. (The small light-colored dots in the distance are hay bales).
Heart 1 Comment 0
Birth of a hay bale (1 of 3)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Birth of a hay bale (2 of 3). Depending on the quality of the field, it can be a very short gestation period! :-)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Birth of a hay bale (3 of 3). Getting ready to produce another bale.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Crosby is a very nice, prosperous looking town.

The courthouse in Crosby is not on a square - it's at the top of a 'T' on the edge of town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back at downtown from the courthouse.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Still in operation. Showtimes are 7:30 PM on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Balcony seats are a dollar extra.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Kelly IniguezI've read that big movie chains are going to, or have, changed pricing, and are charging more for premium seats. I doubt there are many theaters left with balcony seating!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

 Tomorrow's (Tuesday) forecast is rainy and cold, with winds from the south.  Wednesday's forecast is clear and warm, with winds from the north. 

 Williston, our next destination, is 68 miles south of here.  Our original schedule was for us to spend Tuesday and Wednesday in Williston, but now we're going to stay here tomorrow and ride to Williston on Wednesday.

I'll take a warm tailwind over a cold, rainy headwind every time!!

Today's ride: 32 miles (51 km)
Total: 4,089 miles (6,581 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0