Day 4 - Rain and Birds - PedalPushin 2024 - CycleBlaze

February 10, 2024

Day 4 - Rain and Birds

The forecast called for rain for most of the day but like most forecasts, they didn’t get it quite right.

We woke to temperatures in the high 30’s and a cloudy overcast sky. Not exactly the weather we had hoped for when we came south but sometimes you just have to adapt and so we went for a morning walk instead in hopes of allowing the day to warm up and maybe clear up as well.

The neighborhood walk took us to a local park and gave us time to look at the various cacti as well as see some birds we hadn’t seen before.  My iphone then helped me identify the birds which makes this birding thing a whole lot easier.  If you the reader, however, spot a mis-id, please let us know.

Mourning Dove
Heart 1 Comment 0
House Finch
Heart 0 Comment 0
Curved-billed Thrasher
Heart 0 Comment 2
Scott AndersonNot sure about this one. I wondered if it might be a thrasher, then saw the shot below. Are you sure it’s not the same bird?
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Larry MitchellMy wife just got the same … and from looking through other photos, I am agreeing. Thanks for the spot.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Curve-billed Thrasher
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vermillion Flycatcher
Heart 2 Comment 0
Gila Woodpecker
Heart 2 Comment 0
Greater Roadrunner
Heart 4 Comment 0
Prickly Pear
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not really sure … help please. Thanks Bill … Cow’s Tongue, type of Prickly Pear
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltPrickly pear special variety named cow's tongue.

https://garden.org/plants/view/83625/Cow-s-Tongue-Pricklypear-Opuntia-engelmannii-var-linguiformis/
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Golden Rat Tail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tree Cholla
Heart 1 Comment 0

After returning and waiting for a little more warmth in the air, we ate breakfast and then decided, or rather I decided, that I simply had to go for a ride as I “ride everyday” despite the weather or how I feel.

Heading north once again, we made our way up the Harrison Greenway and then kept going up the Pantano Wash Bikeway and were surprised to run into Kelly.  Kelly is another Cycleblazer who spends time in the Tucson area that we now have a face and name matched together.  We ended up cycling for a bit, shared various cycling stories and trips, and then parted ways until Monday when a group ride will happen.  We might also get a chance to ride again at the end of the month if our schedules align.

The weather didn’t really improve much except the sun tried to come out but the temperatures remained a bit cool.  But, if the weather forecast is correct, warmer temperatures are heading our way this week and maybe I will get a chance to cycle in shorts, short sleeves, and sandals.

Today's ride: 26 miles (42 km)
Total: 1,170 miles (1,883 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0