Bellefontaine, OH to Coshocton, OH - Last Century Cross USA on a Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 25, 1996

Bellefontaine, OH to Coshocton, OH

No room at the inn...

Much hillier today but pleasant riding.

Ohio vista
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the sub shop where we had lunch, a "Terrible Towel" was hanging on the wall and a Steeler pillow was displayed.

A Steeler fan in the midst of Browns territory! Delaware, OH
Heart 0 Comment 0

Turns out the owner was a native of Pittsburgh and a big sports fan, so he and Dave had a lively conversation during lunch (this deep in what had been Cleveland Browns Territory). Stopped at Kenyon College for water and spoke to a professor who was cycling. He gave us directions to a bike path and a much prettier route than we had planned.

Bike path in Ohio (from Kenyon College)
Heart 0 Comment 0

Passed a dam on the Walhoning River which didn't appear to dam anything; it must be for flood control but the river was such a tiny one and the dam so huge. We got to Coshocton at 7 p.m. to find that every motel room and B & B was taken due to a religious convocation. The motel manager (a young woman) where we stopped was extremely helpful; she called the police, the Salvation Army, a Rotarian, etc, but to no avail. Finally she began calling other motels in case they'd had a cancellation. Luckily, the 2nd one had someone cancel 10 minutes before. He commented, if we called moments later, it would probably have been snapped up. After 119 miles, I don't think I could have gone on and the sun was going down. Also, there weren't any large towns nearby.

Today's ride: 119 miles (192 km)
Total: 3,108 miles (5,002 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0