May 1, 2024 - Ferrying from Stari Grad to Split - A Hop, Skip and a Jump (Tour 25) - 2024 🇭🇷 - CycleBlaze

May 1, 2024

May 1, 2024 - Ferrying from Stari Grad to Split

Folded and back-in-box

Those are the bikes folded and in their bags beside me. There were nice views of numerous islands on the way from Stari Grad to Split aboard the Jadrolinja ferry 'Zadar'. -- Stari Grad, Croatia
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Dahon and Tern were disassembled, folded and popped into their respective cases for the flights. -- Split, Croatia
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were told this is a European hedgehog. He came meandering along past oour door, between our suitcases and into the garden. -- Split, Croatia
Heart 1 Comment 0

IT IS nice to get a weather surprise in a good way and that is what we got today. Initially calling for early morning rain, now the forecast was showing sunshine for some hours. Not wanting to waste the last little bit of fair weather cycling, we headed out well early of the ferry to roll through a few of the streets of this absolutely amazing town. In this meandering we passed through the square where we had stopped when we first arrived and decided to stop there again for a couple of lattes. There were a few people about, some families and the square was beautiful.

Our route over to the ferry dock followed the water's edge - a great finish to this great place. We already had our tickets so we just waited on the pier and watched the ferry come toward the port, pirouette 180 degrees then side drift to the pier. Many people and vehicles disembarked and then we were able to walk onto the ferry with our bagged bikes and up the elevator to the salon where we were easily able to get a table by a window, with our bike bags tucked in against the walls beside our chairs.

I felt sad to be leaving Stari Grad, sad to pass by other islands and not stop to see them. The tail end of a journey is sad.

The schedule was to arrive in Split at 130pm but by 1 pm we were pulling in to a harbour and when we checked, it was Split. I am thinking it was because of the strong tailwinds. We took the elevator back to the lower deck and decided we might as well assemble the bikes to make it easier to move along. Off of the boat it was a chatotic mix of scooters, pedestrians, cars, and there wer boats everywhere, ferries everywhere and a huge cruise ship. What a change from two weeks ago! Everything was so hectic that I stopped twice to confirm that we were in Split - what kind of a tourist shows up in a town asking where they are?!

Following along the row of buses we soon recognized the area and the direction we had to take to get back to our same apartment by 'Peacock Park'. My initial plan was to disassemble the bikes and put them in to their cases tonight, but I decided I would at least pull a few parts off to make the job quicker later on. Surprise, surprise -- I ended up pulling both of them right apart and packing them up completely. They are ready for Friday's flight.

Pretty much out of food, we walked down toward the water to a bakery for some pizza for supper, and some burek and cherry pastry for breakfast. On our way back up toward the apartment we stopped at the little local pub 'Senna' where we had been two weeks ago and had a drink on the terrace. Until the skies let loose and it poured so we quickly zipped indoors to stay dry. Once the rain had subsided a bit we walked back to the apartment in the drizzle so we were a bit wet. This was fine since today was laundry day using the apartment's washing machine.

There was a fancy meal in the apartment as the rain continued on. And even though we had done no cycling, I was pretty tired and was asleep by around 7 or 8 pm. 

Today's ride: 5 km (3 miles)
Total: 324 km (201 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Gregory GarceauI have to admit that I really wasn't very familiar with Croatia's geography before checking out your journal. Now, I can see how island hopping can make for a pretty cool tour. Great pictures too.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Brent IrvineTo Gregory GarceauIn 2003 I was told numerous times that I must see the islands, but I did not have the time. It was always in the back of my mind, especially after my parents came a few years ago (no bikes, though) and loved the islands. The beauty is incredible here.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago