Day 129 - Missoula to Frenchtown Loop - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

August 22, 2023

Day 129 - Missoula to Frenchtown Loop

Heart 0 Comment 0

With only a 60% chance of scattered thunderstorms this afternoon, Kerry was ready to ride.  

We had a route that took us to two museums on the way out of town.  Out first stop was the Smokejumper Museum at the Aerial Fire Dept and Smokejumper Center.  This is the largest smokejumper training center in the United States.

We had an outstanding tour guide. He is describing the smokejumpers' suit and gear. Each person actually sews his/her own suit and is able to repair it as needed on a mission.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the 48 hour supply kit that is dropped for each two jumpers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Parachutes hanging from the ceiling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Parachutes are maintained and packed in the parachute loft. Training in packing for new jumpers is intensive and their work is carefully monitored.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gear boxes that will be dropped to the smokejumpers
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gear ready to be donned. The smokejumpers are to be completely dressed, geared up and on the tarmac ready to board the plane 2.5 minutes after the horn sounds, alerting them to a mission.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A gentle reminder above the lockers in the smokejumpers ready room.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our next stop was at the National Museum of Forest Service History.  See the next blog entry for a little forest quiz.

The staff at the Visitor Center were exceptionally friendy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
First chief of the NFS, appointed by Teddy Roosevelt.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Moving beyond conservation to provide recreational use of forests.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The classic fire towers are no longer widely used.  There are a couple on routes we ride regularly at home and Kerry likes to stop and climb to the top, since cycling doesn't give his legs enough workout!

There was a replica of a lookout's living quarters here, but it was chained off and I couldn't get a decent picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we finished at the museums, we rode a loop northwest to the next little town, Frenchtown, and back to Missoula, enjoying the scenery.

Mountain view
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I think I captured a UFO in this one! (or UAP, as the government has decided to call them now.)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some ducks
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dark clouds gathering, but Kerry's luck kept us dry the entire ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The barn of the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cows and goats enjoying each other's company.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode past this abandoned old plant.  Kerry stopped and asked a guy working nearby and he said it was a papermill which had been shut down for over ten years.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Kerry said these are aviation fire trucks.  This is for you, Cathy.

Heart 0 Comment 0

On the agenda for tomorrow are a natural history museum and a visit to the Adventure Cycling headquarters.

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 5,551 miles (8,933 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0