Day 082 - Pilot Mound to Killarney - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

July 6, 2023

Day 082 - Pilot Mound to Killarney

Heart 2 Comment 0

My first stop of the day was in Crystal City, where I had planned to visit a printing museum.  Their website said it was open and the sign outside the building said they were open, but they weren't.  Somewhat disappointed, I walked across the street to a grocery store to get a donut, figuring that a good donut never fails to lift one's spirits.  I got further depressed when the clerk told me that they had already sold out of donuts.  However, the clerk said that the cafe across the street, next to the museum, had delicious baked goods, so back across the street it was.   (The good thing about Crystal City is that you don't have to wait for a break in traffic to cross the street.)   

The Just Bee-Cuzz cafe appears to be the social center of town, and I spend more time there than I should have, chatting with the local citizenry.  

The "Town Council" of Crystal City was in session this morning (and probably every morning). They were a very friendly group of ladies and I enjoyed talking with them.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The owner of Just Bee-Cuzz and I had a comedy skit this morning. I told her that I heard that her baked goods were delicious and asked what was good. She replied, "Lemon scones". I replied, "What else ya got?" to which she replied "Lemon scones". I then said, "I guess I'll have a lemon scone!" It must have been funny, because the "Town Council" broke out laughing and told me that I would like it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Thanks for buying me the scone, Dallas. It was good!
Heart 1 Comment 0
At first, I thought these horses were enjoying a mid-morning snack of Canola. It turns out that this is an optical illusion. There was a very wide gully with a large creek at the bottom, just behind the horses.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here are the same horses from a different angle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yellow, but not canola.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltYellow sweet clover.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melilotus_officinalis
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
All the calves were down for their morning nap.
Heart 0 Comment 0

My next stop was in Cartwright, where I met Jeanna at the Badger Creek Museum.  The Museum is not open on weekdays, but I had called them earlier this spring and they told me they would be happy to open it for us.  Jeanna arrived in Cartwright before me and went to the Municipality Office where she met Kara, the woman I had talked to previously.  Kara came to the Museum site, unlocked all the doors, gave us a quick overview and then told us to enjoy ourselves.  Thank you Kara!  

The building at the far right is the old Mather Post Office. Kara told us she remembers going there with her grandmother to get the mail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sharpening skates.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Old bike with a full-grown front basket.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Jeanna enjoyed the story walk, although she didn't dance to the next station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Monument at the center of town.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This church, also in the center of town, was built in 1898 using local fieldstones.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I saw several herds of cattle today and they were all huddled together, like these are. It must be a Manitoba thing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shortly after leaving Cartwright, the wind really picked up as a storm moved in. At one point I could only manage 6-7 MPH and I thought I was going to get drenched. It was close, but I made it to the motel with only a few sprinkles.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerJeanna here - I was in our motel room, right under that storm. It rained very hard for a few minutes, but the storm was moving quickly - in Kerry's direction. I was amazed when he rolled in 30 minutes later said he only got a few sprinkles. I was expecting a drowned rat!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 3,882 miles (6,247 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0