Day 075 - Orr to International Falls - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

June 29, 2023

Day 075 - Orr to International Falls

Heart 0 Comment 0

Taking yesterday off and sitting out the rain was a good decision because today turned out to be beautiful.  When I left at 7:30 this morning, I wasn't so sure, because it was cool and foggy. However, by about 9:30 the fog was completely gone, the sun came out and it was warm enough to shed my jacket.

I spent the entire ride on US-53 which had very little traffic and a nice shoulder, so the riding was easy.  The terrain is also flattening out which is another plus (looking ahead, I have several Florida-like elevation days coming up - YEAH!!)

My only concern about the day, and the reason for my leaving early, was the forecast afternoon thunderstorms.  However, I made it to International Falls while the skies were still clear.  

That's not to say that I stayed dry, however.  When I got to the motel, I took a quick shower and then we drove downtown so I could get a haircut.  While getting my haircut, a storm sprang up and we both got a little wet walking back to the car.  That storm didn't last long, but it rained a couple of more times during the afternoon, so I'm really glad I got in early.

They like fish displays in Minnesota.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A very foggy morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After an hour or so, the fog was clearing up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It turned into a beautiful morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was a very common sight today - a pickup towing a fishing boat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And I'm concerned about this vehicle - it has been stalking me since I left Florida
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old barn photo. I expect to be seeing a lot more of these in the days ahead.
Heart 0 Comment 0
About 30 miles into the ride, I stopped at this roadside attraction.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As I said, Minnesota likes fish displays.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just as I was getting ready to leave, a family from Virginia stopped so the kids could ride the Walleye.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Display panels about Lake Kabetogama and Voyageurs National Park.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of 3 trains I saw on today's ride. This was the longest of the 3 and was entirely intermodal. It took a long time for it to pass me.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 53 miles (85 km)
Total: 3,527 miles (5,676 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0