Day 072 - Beaver Bay to Aurora - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

June 26, 2023

Day 072 - Beaver Bay to Aurora

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today could be called "A Tale of Two Rides".  In 2020, Jeanna & I rode this exact segment, but going in the opposite direction.  

Here's Jeanna's entry for that day in 2020...

"It was a good long day.  Almost the entire route was through the Superior National Forest.  There were no towns and only one little store on the whole route.

We were blessed with a tailwind again today.  There was a gradual uphill grade for the first 40 miles and then a wonderful downhill the last 16."

My take on today is not as rosy! 

For beginners, "that wonderful downhill the last 16" was a beast of a climb today.

Then there's "blessed with a tailwind" that was a cursed headwind today.

Other than that, the rides were pretty similar :-). 

I have to give credit to Jeanna's performance as a SAG driver - she really helped me out today.  As she passed me at mile 13 of the 16-mile climb, I flagged her down and she gave me an ice-cold Diet Coke and a snack.  After looking at my condition, she said she would drive ahead 10 miles and then pull over and wait for me. She did exactly that, and again had a cold drink and snack waiting.  

She met me one more time at the top of the Skibo Overlook.  At this stop I beat her to the cooler and grabbed an ice-cold beer before she could object (because I don't want to be charged with a BUI, my personal rule is to only enjoy adult beverages post-ride, but hey, sometimes you have to bend the rules).  

Side note:  I was so intent on savoring my beer that I forgot to take any photos of the overlook.  However, you can see more than you'd ever want to by going to Day 57 - Hoyt Lakes, MN to Beaver Bay, MN.  The only difference is today it was very hazy from the smoke, so the photos from 2020 are way better than what I would have taken today even if I had remembered.

The flowers are in full bloom.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A colorful mixture.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltWhite as everyone knows are daisies.

Yellow are birdsfoot trefoil

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/47435-Lotus-corniculatus

Orange are orange hawkweed.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/711103-Pilosella-aurantiaca
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
The shoulders were lined with flowers the entire way today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My 2nd beaver lodge of the trip. I crossed both the East Branch Beaver River and West Branch Beaver River, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised at seeing this.
Heart 1 Comment 0
If you look closely, you'll see a White Admiral butterfly that was interested in Jeanna's foot.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Rose SamsonThis is a friendly butterfly ! Lucky Jeanna.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
In 2020, there was a very short train in this photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were no concerns about traffic today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Less than a half mile from my destination, Rolf flagged me down to ask about my taillights (this is becoming a regular occurrence - I may seek a sponsorship from Cygolite!).
Heart 2 Comment 2
Rolf SwansonIt was great to meet you as you passed through Aurora. As a fellow cyclist it is always fun to hear others stories of their adventures and I will continue to follow your blog. Yes, you need to get a promo code from Cygolite because you lit up the road with those lights. I've got a couple on order for my next cycle adventure.
Sunny days and following winds. Travel safe. - Rolf
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Keith A. SpanglerI just ordered two of those lights, thank you Kerry
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Rolf rode the GAP and C&O last year and got a T-Shirt to boot.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rolf SwansonI'm the guy with no butt. I'd like to say that I rode it off but I guess I just wasn't blessed with one. I need to pull my pants up more often!
Safe travels.
-Rolf
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

Tomorrow is another longish day (65 miles) to Orr. 

Today's ride: 61 miles (98 km)
Total: 3,408 miles (5,485 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0