Day 056 - Alpena to Rogers City - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2023

Day 056 - Alpena to Rogers City

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today was a mixed bag.  Activity-wise and route-wise the day was fantastic.  Last night's motel and today's weather, however, were less than fantastic.

We spent last night in a less than desirable motel.  It was an older mom-and-pop place where reality did not match the good reviews it had received.  Besides the room being cramped and not especially clean, the motel didn't serve breakfast, so we started the day at McDonald's where we shared a Big Breakfast.  

After that it was a short ride to the Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center Museum. It was a nice museum well done, but if you don't like to read about shipwrecks you probably wouldn't enjoy it much as the whole focus was on shipwrecks in the Great Lakes.  Let's just say there have been a LOT of shipwrecks in the Great Lakes.   (We were split on this one - I looked at every display and read every placard, Jeanna found it somewhat depressing).

After touring the museum, Jeanna drove on to Rogers City, while I took a detour to visit Presque Isle and see its lighthouses.

This short 1/2-mile trail follows the Thunder Bay River and leads to the museum.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Below are all the display panels found along the trail.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The now-closed Fletcher Paper Mill that is referenced in the above panel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Inside the Museum.

A typical display at the museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A large model of the Isaac M. Scott.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I found the statics about water-borne freight rates interesting.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the way to Presque Isle. Little traffic, a smooth surface and a double-lined bike lane to boot. What's not to like??
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I liked this old cabin. The craftmanship is excellent. If you zoom in, you can see how well the half-lap joints fit.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nice fitting dovetails as well.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I missed this one. Credit goes to Wikipedia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Old Presque Isle Lighthouse. Built in 1840 it is 38 ft. tall and has 70 steps to the top.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking down the stone steps.
Heart 1 Comment 0
View from the top.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The New Presque Isle Lighthouse. New is relative - it was built in 1870. It is 113 ft. tall and has 130 steps. (And yes, I counted them)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking up through the steps.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The tramway cart referenced above.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from the top.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is not visible here, but this is looking back towards the old lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just outside Rogers City is the worlds largest limestone quarry. It is 4 miles long and 1-1/2 miles wide. It has been in production since 1912 and is estimated to have another 100 years of reserves left.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In downtown Rogers City, there is yet another old movie theater.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Kelly IniguezI'm a sucker for old neon of any kind. There is a motel named Rabbit Ears in Steamboat Springs that has a great neon bunny, a la Bugs Bunny. The motel itself is totally average, but I always have to stay there just to see the sign at night.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

At the beginning of today's entry, I mentioned the weather.  The lighthouses were just about halfway into today's ride.  Just as I was leaving the new lighthouse it began to rain, and it continued for most of the rest of the ride.  While not heavy, it was a cold rain and not very pleasant.

 Thankfully, though, Jeanna called me about fifteen minutes after we had left the museum this morning and asked if I wanted my rain jacket in case it rained.  When I said "Yes" she turned around and brought it back to me.

Having SAG support is wonderful.  Thank you, dear - you're one of the reasons Life is Good!!

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 2,683 miles (4,318 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0