Day 050 - Marshall to St. Johns - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

June 4, 2023

Day 050 - Marshall to St. Johns

Heart 1 Comment 0

It was another long day.  I was rolling shortly after 7:30AM because I didn't want to get in too late.  Shortly after starting, I was questioning the wisdom of that decision because it was cold!  The weather has turned crazy.  For the previous 2 days the temperature was in the hi 80's / low 90's.  This morning it was 50 with a high projected to be in the mid 70's.  

Even the bike doesn't like this weather.  Yesterday, due to the heat, I had to bleed some air out of the tires in the afternoon to get the pressure down to the recommended range.  This morning I had to add air to get the pressure back up to the recommended range.

 I actually considered turning around and going back to a nice warm room, but reasoned that eventually it would get warmer, so I kept going.  It made for some long miles at first, but the miles started getting easier as the morning warmed up.  After about 20 miles I got in my groove, and the rest of the ride was much more enjoyable, and the miles seemed to go by quicker.

Old barn for the day. I spotted this one early in the ride.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride took me through several small towns, each about 10 miles from one another.  Most of them look prosperous and each had its own personality.  It was nice having the towns spaced so evenly apart.  It meant I had never had to ride more than 50 minutes or so before coming across a C-Store.

The first town I passed through was Olivet, home of Olivet College. The village and the college were founded simultaneously in 1844 by Rev John J. Shipherd, who also founded Oberlin College in Oberlin, OH.  Olivet looked like the quintessential small college town with stately buildings and tree lined streets.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Burrage Library is at the heart of the college campus.
Heart 1 Comment 0

About 10 miles down the road from Olivet is Charlotte.  It too, was a nice-looking small town.  

Charlotte has a prosperous looking business district.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Kelly IniguezI see an old movie theatre to the right!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
A good-looking group of older buildings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The old courthouse is now the Eaton County Museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Although I haven't actually seen any orchards, I have passed several signs advertising them.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Next up was Potterville, which is celebrating Gizzard Fest later this week.   On previous trips to Michigan, we had noticed that most small towns have festivals celebrating all kinds of things, but this takes the cake.  If I'd known of this, I may have started my trip a week later so I could have attended.

This should be on everyone's bucket list. I can only imagine the culinary delights to be had.
Heart 3 Comment 7
Kathleen Jones“Where memories are made” A gizzard fest would certainly make memories for me.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Kathleen JonesI've never tasted gizzards, but my mother ate them. I always thought it was a Mom thing to eat the least desirable parts so nothing went to waste, but she insisted she really liked them.
Jeanna
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Rose SamsonI like Fried Gizzard, that's how my mother serve this to us. It is a delicacy in my family. Where I live in Florida there are few diners that serve gizzard & fried chicken livers. It's good!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rose SamsonI never tried the gizzards, but my mother made delicious fried chicken livers. I loved them!
Jeanna
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Rose SamsonTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithChicken liver is a good source of Iron. People who are Anemic
(has anemia) are encouraged to eat them.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Kelley ForbesCaseville, MI, in the thumb, has a cheeseburger festival each year. :) YUM.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Kelley ForbesKelley,
Funny you should mention that. Back in 2021 we pedaled through Caseville the day after the cheeseburger festival.

https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/twofar2021/day-137-sebewaing-to-port-austin/
Kerry
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Just outside Potterville I saw this train coming, so I had to stop on the overpass and take a photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After Potterville, I passed through Grand Ledge.  It is named for the sandstone ledges that rise above the Grand River.  

Looking back at the town of Grand Ledge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
View of Grand River. I did not see the sandstone ledges which are popular with rock climbers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was a park on the riverbank below the bridge. This is a sample of the flowerbeds that lined the walkways.
Heart 1 Comment 0
What is it about old silos that attracts climbing vines.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Best street name of the trip!
Heart 3 Comment 0

Somewhere between Grand Ledge and Fowler, I noticed a pleasant aroma that kept getting stronger.  Finally, I came upon the source - a mint farm.  It sure smelled nicer than a lot of the farms I have passed on this trip.

This farm made me think of chewing gum.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Mint as far as you can see.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here's a close-up.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Even after all the stops I made, I reached our motel in St. Johns by 3:30PM.  It's a very basic 60's-style roadside motel.  While clean, I'm glad we're only staying here one night. I like Holiday Inns and Hamptons much better. :-)

Today's ride: 69 miles (111 km)
Total: 2,397 miles (3,858 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0